Silkie thread!

PM @seminolewind . She had purchased it recently, someone else was having difficulty finding it.
Sulfadimethoxine ( di methox ) contains Albon and is specifically for treatment. Most birds respond nicely to amprolium but as your little one has suffered with wryneck , di methox is your best bet.
Sulfadimazine has more of a ' bolous ' effect and is more of a preventative.
Offer the chick some buttermilk in the meantime, it will help to alleviate the discomfort associated with the constant shedding of the stomach lining.
You will need to treat the entire flock.
Thanks so much for the help. I pmed Seminolewind and am awaiting a reply.

I will be treating the rest of the flock with Corid, and hopefully I'll be able to get di methox fast.

Last edited:
I know very little about silkies but we now own 4 of the black beauties. We raise meat birds and have 6 other laying hens: 3 Barred Rocks and 3 RIRs. The layers were chicks last April. My silkies are separated from the older girls and are today 10 weeks old. When I bought them they told me it was too hard to sex the bantams so they came straight run. Now three of the 4 silkies that I have are roos. I've only been involved with chickens for a couple of seasons but I don't think that I need three roosters and one lone hen. This bread is very friendly but I still think that the roos will become more agressive with age.

Thanks for letting me ramble, but my real question is what do you think about long term flock harmony with my mix of birds and age? All my cornish crosses are in the freezer for this year and these are not meat birds even though I read something about the Chinese liking them. These are my wife's pets, but I am concerned the mix that we have will not be a good long term group.

All thoughts are welcome and thanks for your comments.

This is my newest Silkie. I named her SNOW. ..her Lil friend is a Sizzle. A cross of a Silkie/Frizzle

I know very little about silkies but we now own 4 of the black beauties. We raise meat birds and have 6 other laying hens: 3 Barred Rocks and 3 RIRs. The layers were chicks last April. My silkies are separated from the older girls and are today 10 weeks old. When I bought them they told me it was too hard to sex the bantams so they came straight run. Now three of the 4 silkies that I have are roos. I've only been involved with chickens for a couple of seasons but I don't think that I need three roosters and one lone hen. This bread is very friendly but I still think that the roos will become more agressive with age.

Thanks for letting me ramble, but my real question is what do you think about long term flock harmony with my mix of birds and age? All my cornish crosses are in the freezer for this year and these are not meat birds even though I read something about the Chinese liking them. These are my wife's pets, but I am concerned the mix that we have will not be a good long term group.

All thoughts are welcome and thanks for your comments.

We started with two Partridge Silkies and had to rehome one that turned out a roo - he was the sweetest temperament but crowed too much and had to be re-homed. We got another Silkie pullet in Black and got her from a breeder at around 3-4 months old since I didn't want the heartache of re-homing another possible roo. We now have two Silkie hens with a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana who is kind and gentle to the Silkies. All the other dual purpose and layer LF we re-homed because they were nasty or vicious toward the Silkies (a vicious 7-lb Cuckoo Marans and 2 assertive bully Leghorns). We do not mix any heavy or dual purpose breeds weighing over 5-lbs with our Silkies now. Silkies will defend themselves in flock politics but a 2-lb Silkie will get the short end of the stick against a 6 or 7-lb assertive LF. Our Ameraucana is very kind and non-combative and we are adding a petite dainty Breda to the flock in a couple weeks. No more heavy LF mixed in with our Silkies any more. I would've saved myself heartache if I heeded advice not to mix LF with Silkies - our backyard is too small and not much area for Silkies to hide to stay out of harm's way. As for keeping 3 Silkie roos with only 1 Silkie hen - it should be the other way around with 3 Silkie hens mixed with 1 Silkie roo. One hen will get stressed being mated too much. You only need one roo and add at least one more Silkie hen - get a positive pullet that you can identify as a pullet before adding. I never buy Silkie chicks until much older from a breeder. Straight run Silkies is just a heartache when you get way too many roos grown out.

Back
Top Bottom