Silkie thread!

My breeders :)

Very nice..do you show?

Oh nice. Good luck. :) I've got 36 eggs some of them hatched this.morning and some are due to hatch in.coming 10 12 days.

Curious about opinions on this chick,, it hatched on the third and is about twice as fluffy as any of the twenty other silkie chicks that hatched with it. And yes it does have five toes on each foot though they are very hidden by it's fluff

Whenever we do health maintenance checks on the Silkies we massage vitamin E oil into their legs, leg feathers, toes, toenails, toe feathers, walnut comb, beak, and skin on the face.  The vet said it's OK if the feathers get the vit E around the face or toe feathers - he said the oil is a good mite deterrent on the leg/toe scales and the vit E at the same time is very beneficial to the skin, nails, beak.  We wipe off the excess oil and put the Silkies to roost.  That way the vit E absorbs overnight and by morning there is no oily residue on either skin or leg/toe feathers the way petroleum jelly leaves a residue for dirt to stick to the feathers.  We haven't used vaseline in years since the vet recommended either vit E or vit A oil for our chickens.  We made the mistake of using vaseline on a Leghorn's comb during a freezing spell and the next morning she went to take a dust bath and the dirt stuck to the vaseline on her white feathers and stained her so badly it wasn't until next molt that she had white feathers again!  When we had a Silkie indoors recuperating from her CRD we gave her the vit E treatment and patted off the excess.  We let her walk around the kitchen and noticed she rubbed the vit E from her toe feathers and then rubbed the oil gland at the base of her tail several times and preened all her other feathers w/ the vit E oil.  I had to keep her from licking the oil while massaging it into her!  Safer, neater, and healthier to use vitamin oils on chickens than yucky petroleum jelly.  We also found that all the breeds of chickens we've had don't mind tush/vent shampoos or the warm blow drying that follows.

Thanks. We got some vitamin E oil last night. Wife says she's going to use it on her hair, too. Lol

Back
Top Bottom