Silkie thread!

Does anyone know if dunlap hatchery in Idaho sell bearded or non-bearded silkies?

I wondered the same thing when I saw their Silkie photos were all non-bearded. You might call them and ask them. I prefer seeing my bird in person before getting it. When I purchase a juvenile from a private breeder cross-country they will send me a photo of the bird they have in mind to send to me. I don't get chicks since you just can't fully tell what they will grow out to look like.

He is still going to just like a regular rooster of any other breed just probably more calm but since they are hatchery chicks they could be more jumpy than breeder ones but either way he is still going to be a protective good rooster but if it's bearded u might need to give him a ponytail so he can see better to protect ur lady's or u can just trim its crest instead

He doesn't seem much jumpier than the other 4 I have him in with... but they are a bit jumpy too... so... But, I've been spending time in there with them and dangling my hand down in the brooder. So they get used to having me around. I'd love for them to be friendly.

I still haven't gotten any pics of him/her yet. I've been cleaning all day, then got dinner.. and I'm just taking a break. Eesh. :) Maybe I'll get some tomorrow.. hopefully. lol

Ok, so he'll CROW??? :cd That's really the only reason I want a rooster... hehe. Is that dumb? You said protective.. does that mean he won't be friendly toward ME?? And you mentioned bearded.... and a ponytail??? Whaaaat? :idunno

Just keep things low for the silkis mine will perch on the edges of the wood boxes I have sitting, some just like to huddle on the floor My Sultuns and Silkis pretty much stay together at night. I hope to relocate them to their own area soon.

Low, like a lower roost? I'm going to have staggered roost heights, so he should be ok, right? Will he do ok with the rest of the chickens I have, since he's smaller? What if it is a pullet? Are my other chickens likely to pick on her?

If you don't get a rooster I will bring you one.

Hehe, OK!!! (I wish!!) I really wanted 2, but they wouldn't sell less than 6. They only let me get the one because it was replacing one from my first batch of Isa Browns that passed away. Thinking back, why didn't I ask to BUY an additional one?? Ugh... I'm so dumb. :th

Hi there everyone!! So, these little sweeties are now about 5.5 weeks old, and I'm desperately in love! The problem is, they were sold to me as Lavender...buuuuuut.... So my question is, do I have beef with the breeder? They look like blue splash to me, if the breeder is breeding correctly, is it possible to get blue splash from lavender parents? We paid a pretty penny for them, and have been told that what we paid was too high for blue splash, but a good price for lavender. I adore them, and they're not going anywhere, but I'm about to contact the breeder and I'd like to be as informed as possible :D Also, genetics confuse the crap out of me!

Thank you!! They were SO fluffy, to! This is my first time getting silkies from an actual breeder...it's crazy how different they look than our feed store babies did :D

Hmmmm...okay, good to know. I'm also posting this on the thread specifically for the color lavender. I'm really curious now LOL!

Here is a pic for comparison but to me they look splash

Back
Top Bottom