Silkie thread!

Ok so new chicks and curious about gender indicators I have a couple that comb is visible and they're larger than the other chicks and at 3 weeks I can already see spurs prominently and they keep having little spats the smaller ones are completely relaxed. Are they likely cockerels?

Are u sure u are not just seeing the little bump chickens have on there legs not seeing little Spurs coming in

Agree with Rhoda.
No, none of those are indications of gender. All chickens get those little nubs where roosters would typically have spurs, and pullets will spar and chest bump just as much as the cockerels. The larger combs and general size might mean they're boys, or it might not. Silkies are very difficult to sex.

Last edited:

I know I asked this awhile ago, but I got a better picture finally.
1f602.png
are these buffs or light partridge? And what quality?

Agree with Rhoda.
No, none of those are indications of gender. All chickens get those little nubs where roosters would typically have spurs, and pullets will spar and chest bump just as much as the cockerels. The larger combs and general size might mean they're boys, or it might not. Silkies are very difficult to sex.
They look bigger than the other chicks... I've never kept silkies ... About 10+ other breeds and I usually feather sex them and then stress over it for 2 months but yea it's weird to me how much some of these birds look different to me even though they're roughly the same breed... I have no clue what to expect here... So they're generally pretty similar disposition wise? Because these guys really fight but just the two of them :-/

I have a questions hoping someone might know or have experience with. I have two silkie hens that share a coop and pen ( they free range with the large fowl when I am at home to supervise). They seem close to each other. One has went broody, so I bought some fertile silkie eggs and gave them to her. My questions is when they hatch, do you think the other silkie will be ok with the babies, like maybe be a co-mommie.?

I have a questions hoping someone might know or have experience with.  I have two silkie hens that share a coop and pen ( they free range with the large fowl when I am at home to supervise).  They seem close to each other.  One has went broody, so I bought some fertile silkie eggs and gave them to her.  My questions is when they hatch, do you think the other silkie will be ok with the babies, like maybe be a co-mommie.?

My silkies are usually happy to share motherly duties, bug occasionally you will get one that steals all of the babies. It really just depends on the dynamics of your flock. :)

Back
Top Bottom