Silkie thread!

Yes, I think she is beautiful but I haven't seen another her colour and don't really know what she is. A bit of all sorts probably
1f602.png

When my little 41/2 yr old Black Silkie went broody last month and then started molting on top of that, she was terrorizing the flock with her bitc#y behavior and everyone avoided and ran from her. After her hormonal stage passed she was back to being her happy joyful self again. I don't know what Freddie Mac's issues are but could she possibly be going through a broody stage? I would isolate the offender (Freddie) before her meanness gets contagious with the rest of the pets. If she is broody hormonal it can take a couple weeks or a month for her to get past her cycle then re-introduce her back slowly to the group. She'll lose pecking order status while isolated and will have to gradually be added back in if she has calmed back down during isolation. Silkies are an adorable bunch but hormones or molting can agitate them out of character. Isolating an offender can help you monitor to see what's up with her. In our Black Silkie's case we knew she was broody plus molting because of sitting in the nestbox all day and then in a couple weeks started losing a bunch of her feathers and now she is back to laying eggs again.

MY BROODY BLACK SILKIE DOING HER FLUFFED-UP BROODY TURKEY DANCE! IT WAS ALL THE WARNING THE OTHERS NEEDED TO STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM HER!

she's only 5 or 5 1/2 months isn't that to early???

Anyone here have any idea how to keep a pullet austorpington from jumping/flying over the fence?? I'm babysitting until my neighbors get back and the run is too small to keep her confined

Can someone please help my anxiety!!!!! I know I have been told silkies like rain but,,,, its 72° and a down pore...I have even opened the garage door and all three of my sheds thinking the where scared they would be locked in the coop..even the run is a covered out door area.. I even picked them up and should them where its dry. But no every one of my chickens are in the middle of my freaking back yard getting soaked. ..

Mine did the same, they pretty much always do. The rain must have forced the worms out of the ground, because my Silkies were going crazy scratching and pecking when I looked out the window to see what they were up to :D

Mine did the same, they pretty much always do. The rain must have forced the worms out of the ground, because my Silkies were going crazy scratching and pecking when I looked out the window to see what they were up to :D

We've had so much rain here that even the worms have drowned.
2639.png

They are usually fine as long as the temps aren't too low and they dry before night. I've lost a couple to being drenched and staying out in the cold.

Back
Top Bottom