Silkie thread!

One of the extra cull boys that has fully accepted his place with the large fowl laying flock. They have a nice dry and very large coop. Him and his ladies were out in the rain and mud scratching for bugs. I guess you don't need to be dry at night when you can sleep under the wing of a brahma over four times your size.

Cracking eggs for dinner saw this and laughed. It's a brahma egg. Those girls are 9 pounds. The roosters in there are silkies. The boys faced impossible odds and succeeded.

Nice pretty bullseye on top so this egg was fertile!

Hello Silkie experts!
I really need some advice! About 2 months ago I noticed my one hen laying VERY soft shelled eggs. She had never done this before, so I figured it was maybe a fluke or the wacky weather messing her up. Just in case I put some oyster shell out for her and kept a very close eye. Then one day I noticed someone had round worms, the was a first. So I did my research and got them, 3 hens and a roo, Wazine. I have not seen any round worms since worming them but my poor hen is still laying these soft shell eggs. The manager at tractor supply suggested I get Manna Pro supplements to make the shells stronger. I started mixing it in their layer feed on 3/4. The egg she layed today was still really soft but did have a harder spot on one end. How long should it take before the supplement helps? Is there anything else I should be doing? Her health is most important to me, but I was also hooing to get a couple chicks from her this year. They are all very healthy otherwise and I'm stumped! I give them some sort of fruit or veg daily along with lettuce. They grt fresh layer feed that I just recently started adding alittle DE to and now the supplements. They get to free range almost daily and when they're locked in they have a 6x12 run where i throw some scratch for them. They also get mealworms or bread as a treat. Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you!!!

I've had a few people tell me they think pullet. I just want to make sure these arent streamers showing up! 21 weeks old and the comb has been the same size for a couple months now. Really hoping she stays a "she"!!

Hello Silkie experts!
I really need some advice! About 2 months ago I noticed my one hen laying VERY soft shelled eggs. She had never done this before, so I figured it was maybe a fluke or the wacky weather messing her up. Just in case I put some oyster shell out for her and kept a very close eye. Then one day I noticed someone had round worms, the was a first. So I did my research and got them, 3 hens and a roo, Wazine. I have not seen any round worms since worming them but my poor hen is still laying these soft shell eggs. The manager at tractor supply suggested I get Manna Pro supplements to make the shells stronger. I started mixing it in their layer feed on 3/4. The egg she layed today was still really soft but did have a harder spot on one end. How long should it take before the supplement helps? Is there anything else I should be doing? Her health is most important to me, but I was also hooing to get a couple chicks from her this year. They are all very healthy otherwise and I'm stumped! I give them some sort of fruit or veg daily along with lettuce. They grt fresh layer feed that I just recently started adding alittle DE to and now the supplements. They get to free range almost daily and when they're locked in they have a 6x12 run where i throw some scratch for them. They also get mealworms or bread as a treat. Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you!!!

Hi, the calcium supplements should help, but it could take a week or so for you to see normal shells. Soft shelled eggs can be very dangerous to the health of your bird and can lead to one breaking inside her and causing egg peritonitis, so it's a good thing you are on to it.
Prolapse vent is also a direct result of calcium deficiency.
With the worms it's best to reworm 10 later to eliminate any hatchlings .

Hello Silkie experts!

Are you offering oyster shell in a separate feeder on the side? I would also stop feeding the bread and DE and not to much fruit. Best of luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom