Silkie thread!

​Looks like a pullet to me.

pretty pullet looks like to me but I'm no expert

How old.

Looks girly right now, but age would help

Thanks guys. Here is to hoping for a girl. Notnworried if it's a boy though. Sonfar my silkie roosters are very sweet. I agree it looks very feminine. Indidnt think girls got streamers though? Forgot to add I think about 9 months. I got a partridge with it and she is already laying and breeding.

Last edited:
​Looks like a pullet to me.

pretty pullet looks like to me but I'm no expert

How old.

Looks girly right now, but age would help

Thanks guys. Here is to hoping for a girl. Notnworried if it's a boy though. Sonfar my silkie roosters are very sweet. I agree it looks very feminine. Indidnt think girls got streamers though? Forgot to add I think about 9 months. I got a partridge with it and she is already laying and breeding.

9 months I'd be expecting eggs soon.

My silky chick, about two weeks old, does not seem to understand how to use the water nipple. The other two, RIR, seem to have it down. They seem much more intelligent, adaptive, active and responsive than my little silkie. She also does not seem to have advances feather growth, still looking like a baby chick as my two rir are halfway into grown up feathers. She also has two crooked toes, facing inwards that are almost 90 degree angles. I am feeding them chick starter, probiotics and electrolytes. They have a heat source and I clean their enclosure daily. Is my chicken broken? I have isolated her within views of the others to make her learn to drink from nipple. What do you guys think? Are silkies dumber than RIR? Does mine have a problem? What should I do about ensuring she drinks enough through the vertical watering nipple?

hello, I'm 20 years old next Monday, we just moved into the country my junior year of high school and I'm going to be getting my very first chickens soon- my grandmother is going to buy me a silkie chick! there are several breeders in my area, any tips???
Hello,
Congratulations!! Please don't buy one .. they love to have friends and my silkies are always together , 3 for sure
1f425.png
1f423.png

They are a high needs breed, do your research . You can't tell their sex til about 6 months old . They have to be kept dry and safe. They are so cute ... mine didn't do well with other chickens .

Have fun!!!
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

Hello,
Congratulations!! Please don't buy one .. they love to have friends and my silkies are always together , 3 for sure
1f425.png
1f423.png

They are a high needs breed, do your research . You can't tell their sex til about 6 months old . They have to be kept dry and safe. They are so cute ... mine didn't do well with other chickens .

Have fun!!!
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

That meme is my life. My family always walks in on me talking to my chickens and explaining things to them. Especially things they see on my tv or when I am playing videogames. Yesterday they all got startled because I was playing Fallout 4 and got attacked by a deathclaw and screamed. I turned to them and said "Now chicklens this is a very important lesson, when you see deadly looking things with sharp teeth and claws run, don't fight or you will die like mommy just did."

My silky chick, about two weeks old, does not seem to understand how to use the water nipple. The other two, RIR, seem to have it down. They seem much more intelligent, adaptive, active and responsive than my little silkie. She also does not seem to have advances feather growth, still looking like a baby chick as my two rir are halfway into grown up feathers. She also has two crooked toes, facing inwards that are almost 90 degree angles. I am feeding them chick starter, probiotics and electrolytes. They have a heat source and I clean their enclosure daily. Is my chicken broken? I have isolated her within views of the others to make her learn to drink from nipple. What do you guys think? Are silkies dumber than RIR? Does mine have a problem? What should I do about ensuring she drinks enough through the vertical watering nipple?

Hello and welcome to BYC. Some chicks need to be shown the water and food, just like momma would call them to drink or feed . Tap your finger to the nipple and then place a drop of water on the tip of the chicks beak until it is following your finger to the source. Curled toes are usually a niacin and or riboflavin B12 deficiency so you will need to get a poultry multi vitamin contains niacin to add to the water or food. Brewers yeast is a good source too. Fish and leafy greens are a good source of B12. Silkies aren't dumb but in my experience RIR and silkies dont mix, so chances are she is being trampled by her brooder mates. Dehydration can lead to pasty butt and death so best to give an alternative water source that isn't too deep as there is always a risk of drowning with chicks.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC. Some chicks need to be shown the water and food, just like momma would call them to drink or feed . Tap your finger to the nipple and then place a drop of water on the tip of the chicks beak until it is following your finger to the source. Curled toes are usually a niacin deficiency so you will need to get a poultry multi vitamin contains niacin to add to the water or food. Brewers yeast is a good source too. Silkies aren't dumb but in my experience RIR and silkies dont mix, so chances are she is being trampled by her brooder mates. Dehydration can lead to pasty butt and death so best to give an alternative water source that isn't too deep as there is always a risk of drowning with chicks.
put marbles in ur alternative water bowl to keep chicks from falling in

Back
Top Bottom