Silkie thread!

I looked for a paint silkie thread to post my question on but seems they are all mostly dead. So I will try here. Can anyone tell me what to expect from breeding between the following? I can't find any other posts with these combos and am wondering if I should let them breed?

1. Sizzle paint roo over frizzle cuckoo hen
2. Sizzle paint too over smooth paint hen

Thanks!!

(FYI the sizzle paint too is showing some grey leakage, is it possible this might clear up after first molt? If I allow him to breed will it mess up future

I did t this k u could breed a frizzle to a sizzle or another frizzle because u get a frazzle and the have feathers that break and fall out

Ok so she made a 100% turn around from the trash this morning and my living room this after noon!! So keeping my fingers crossed!! A splash is the one silkie i dont have!!!

Last edited:
Here's the little runt! Still small but still going. Even survived a bag of bad food that killed 23 chicks last week

And quick question. I feed my chicks fermented food and the little silkies get covered in it. Is it okay? They aren't acting cold or anything but they are kinda a mess lol

I hope I don't get in trouble for double posting. I'm really not sure which thread to post this in?
I'm concerned about the leakage in my paint cockerel and whether or not I should allow him to breed.

Please find attached pics of my sizzle paint cockerel, then my smooth paint pullet, and finally my frizzle cuckoo pullet. Just trying to decide if I should allow breeding between the colors. Especially considering the leakage on my cockerel?

Sizzle Paint Cockerel w/ leakage

Smooth Paint Pullet

Frizzle Cuckoo Pullet

Are silkies good chickens to have?
welcome-byc.gif

We live in a mild to very warm climate and our Silkies do well here. Some say that in snow country and cool climates the Silkies do well also except they have to be sheltered from inclement weather. They don't have normal hard feathers and can get wet and chilled to the skin plus their feathered feet can get clumped with mud. Other than these maintenance issues, Silkies are a fun little chicken. Gentle, active little foragers, funny to watch, don't fly so they don't escape barriers/fences, easy to shampoo and blow dry with a hair dryer, some have even been house chickens, they go broody at the drop of a hat if there are eggs to steal in a nest box, they make excellent broody hens and mommas to chicks, ducklings, even goslings when hatched by Silkies. My DH can't imagine our backyard without a couple of them. Our yard is small and we had issues having large fowl dual purpose chickens that were too aggressive toward our Silkies so we opted for some docile lighter-weight large fowl breeds to mix with the Silkies -- like pure Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, and Breda. Other docile breeds that get along with gentle Silkies are Polish, Sultans, Cochins, pure Araucana. Common dual purpose or layers like Leghorns, Marans, Wyandottes, Orpingtons , Rhode Islands, Barred Rocks, and Australorps are a bit too heavy or assertive to have around gentle Silkies. All chicks and pullets get along at first but as dual-purpose type chickens mature they turn into divas or bullies toward the other timid breeds of chickens.

Some pics of our two Silkies:

Two Silkies at the back (A Partridge and a little Black with Cuckoo Breda at the very front)

Bug patrol (Partridge and Black Silkies)

Photo-bombing docile Cuckoo Breda with two Silkies

Partridge Silkie

Black Silkie

Toodling buddies

Visitors frightened of chickens love chickens after holding a Silkie

Silkies are productive layers before they go broody (brown egg is XL store egg)

We like gentle Ameraucanas and docile Bredas as our large fowl choices to mix with our little Silkies

Back
Top Bottom