Silkie thread!

No we have 13 red Hens and none of then are broody. My bator has 4 eggs in it. They Are suppose to hatch on June 8. I'm assuming I can't put in new eggs since its already a week away before hatch. Could I take some out ans put in the Fridge till my bator becomes avalible again?
You don't want to refrigerate eggs you intend on hatching. You can either take a few away from momma, or just let nature take care of it. She may be ok with 11 eggs. Just expect a late hatch cuz some eggs will not get ad warm as others. She may push some out on her own.

No we have 13 red Hens and none of then are broody. My bator has 4 eggs in it. They Are suppose to hatch on June 8. I'm assuming I can't put in new eggs since its already a week away before hatch. Could I take some out ans put in the Fridge till my bator becomes avalible again?
Continuing....

I would put them in my bator personally. They will get turned by the other chicks hatching. You may need to run dry for a few days after the 1st set hatches, but the 2nd set will probably have a greater chance at hatching if you incubate then vs. leaving Mom on too many, or worse letting them sit for 9 days.

Continuing....

I would put them in my bator personally. They will get turned by the other chicks hatching. You may need to run dry for a few days after the 1st set hatches, but the 2nd set will probably have a greater chance at hatching if you incubate then vs. leaving Mom on too many, or worse letting them sit for 9 days.
Ok Ill put them in the bator than. She's a first time mom too so your saying 8 max for her first hatch? She's 7 months old if that matters. How do I get the eggs out without her freaking out on me. She's not your normal silkie her ans the roo. They aren't friendly like they say they aew suppose to be. I guess its because they came from a breeder who didn't spend time he was just breeding to get them our the door i guess. So they never got handled. And Thank you so much for all the advice you have been amazing and very helpful.

Ok Ill put them in the bator than. She's a first time mom too so your saying 8 max for her first hatch? She's 7 months old if that matters. How do I get the eggs out without her freaking out on me. She's not your normal silkie her ans the roo. They aren't friendly like they say they aew suppose to be. I guess its because they came from a breeder who didn't spend time he was just breeding to get them our the door i guess. So they never got handled. And Thank you so much for all the advice you have been amazing and very helpful.
She may peck at you, or she may get up, but she will come back. Mine growl at me. One pecks, but that's it. 8 max. But if you don't trust her to be good at this give her 3 and take the rest.

She may peck at you, or she may get up, but she will come back. Mine growl at me. One pecks, but that's it. 8 max. But if you don't trust her to be good at this give her 3 and take the rest.
It worked prefect she already pushed 4 eggs to the back of the pen the rest she had under her. I put them in the bator and plan on getting another one once lock down day comes next week and ill move the ones that are suppose to hatch in the new one.

You can put them in the fridge. As long as they don’t freeze. Let them sit at room temp for at least 4hrs before you put them in the bator.

Here are my Bobbi Porto males :love
(I actually need to rehome them, if anyone’s interested.)

Bob, black silkie, under 2 years old
81011676-BED1-4AE8-91FE-EA8C2853EEB9.jpeg

George, blue silkie, under 2 years old
AA17F80C-D91F-42AD-A7E0-A391A48B245D.jpeg
951040F9-8C00-49E5-951E-EC7B9323E689.jpeg
B3D683CA-7757-4F6F-8119-CBBF0C1DD19C.jpeg

Chick, around 8 weeks. George And a partridge showgirl are its parents
EBF37A84-FB31-4CBC-AB68-F2E65263CADA.jpeg
D028DBDE-07C9-4043-835C-75D416595E4F.jpeg

Beautiful birds, silkiecuddles!

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place (I just joined BYC) - but I had a question for "The Silkie Thread":

In the "Things I wish I knew..." thread, people mentioned, generically, the idea that there were some breeds of chickens that really should not be kept together. I'm gathering info now and want to raise some chicks in the early fall. I'm intending to choose reasonably calm and docile breeds for a small suburban flock, and I hope to keep a silkie or two in a mixed flock of hens.

In your experience, are there any breeds that are hard to keep with silkies? And what were the problems you encountered?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Beautiful birds, silkiecuddles!

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place (I just joined BYC) - but I had a question for "The Silkie Thread":

In the "Things I wish I knew..." thread, people mentioned, generically, the idea that there were some breeds of chickens that really should not be kept together. I'm gathering info now and want to raise some chicks in the early fall. I'm intending to choose reasonably calm and docile breeds for a small suburban flock, and I hope to keep a silkie or two in a mixed flock of hens.

In your experience, are there any breeds that are hard to keep with silkies? And what were the problems you encountered?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Thank you!!

Every bird is different, but typically some breeds are more docile than others. In my experience, Rhode Island reds, sussex, and black sex-links tend to be on the more outgoing but aggressive side. I keep a silkie rooster with my RIR hens and he’s fine, but I wouldn’t keep them penned with silkie hens.
Silkies are generally docile, but I’ve had a couple silkie roosters that are mean to the other birds (specifically other roosters; they think they’re so much bigger than they are).
I had a flock of Cochins for a while and none of them had a mean bone in their body. The Australorp hens I have now are great layers and they all play well with the others :)
These are just the breeds that I’ve kept and my personal opinion on them. Most birds, when raised together, will be fine. Adding birds later is when it gets troublesome.

Back
Top Bottom