Silkie thread!

Quote:
He/she is bearded just sparsley bearded... the muff (bearded) gene is incomplete dominant so if a bearded and non bearded are bred together you'll get some that are sparsley bearded like this.

Last edited:
Quote:
I believe so. Some of mine started out that way and then got fuller as they feathered out more.

Thats good to know...I didnt think this hatchery even had bearded. But there is a definite difference in the look. She also has an injured middle toe. It shows in the photo. I got her that way...didnt think she was gonna make it...but doing great now.

Quote:
He/she is bearded just sparsley bearded... the muff (bearded) gene is incomplete dominant so if a bearded and non bearded are bred together you'll get some that are sparsley bearded like this.

OK...makes sense. I wont be breeding as these are just pets so probablly better they arent heavy bearded. I kinda like the cleaner head where they can see. If they got to poofy I would trim their heads a bit, Thanks...

Quote:
I wish I knew!
barnie.gif

Here are a few of my silkies its my first time owning silkies but I am learning my wife loves them and they are growing on me.
52203_img_0008.jpg
52203_img_0006.jpg
52203_img_0013.jpg
52203_img_0013.jpg

I hatched this partridge 6+ weeks ago and I think it is a girl. I just love this one too pieces ... what do you all think? Girl? Appearance?

7630_imag0721.jpg

7630_imag0724.jpg

Last edited:
PamB that is what some call a gray silkie it really has several names --( Moreheads-- Asiatic Silver partridge ) I came accross them a couple of yrs ago on a web site (http://sites.google.com/site/zijdehoenders/t&dcreating/basics-color-genetics... ) I tried to go back in to see if anything new was there and the site wouldn't come up -- I copied everything on it 2 yrs ago it had some really great basic color genetics for silkies on it .Funny though I still don't really understand it at all , but I keep trying .They are really a lovelly color -- I found that Cj's exotics has some very nice grays . I have 3 hens and have not had 1 roo with the morehead coloring hatch - I'm still looking . I really love partridge and found them to be one of the prettiest colors . Good luck -- I'd love to hear how things go with your gray breeding to black .~~~~ Tammy

Quote:
Was she hatched from your eggs?

No, she was one of the original silkie chicks that I bought (before I was even thinking about breeding). From what I understand, the woman that I purchased the silkie chicks from basically let all the silkies breed regardless of color and sold them as "pets." I just kind of lucked out with her. Most of my silkies from this woman are pretty poor quality. Honestly, she is the only one that has any potential. Because of all this, I figured I'd just try breeding her with one of my boys (I only breed blue, black, splash, and buff) and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom