Silkie thread!

Quote:
You guys are in big trouble now. Hope you have lots of room!
jumpy.gif

hello my names connor and im trying to do blog about prepareing silkies for shows but need to know what to do to prepare them and was hoping some one on here could tell me . oh and if you have any splash or grey non-show quality silkies for sell please send me an e-mail at [email protected]. thanks

Quote:
Well really it depends on what the seller means by black/lav split. If it's a lavender x black breeding you can expect to be hatching chicks that all appear black but are all carrying the lavender gene. If all the birds in the pen are all splits themselves meaning they are all black but carrying the lav gene then you can expect roughly 25% to hatch lavender, 50% will appear black but carry the lav gene and 25% will just be black no lav gene. (which in this case you won't know who is the split and who isn't until they are grown and breeding themselves) If the pen has splits bred against a lavender you'll get roughly 50% lavenders and 50% splits. I put my cheat sheet below from notes
big_smile.png
If you want to PM me which seller you are talking about I *might* be of more help.
lol.png

Lav x lav = 100% lav

Lav x split lav = 50% lav, 50% split

Split x split = 25% lav, 50% split, 25% non lav

Split x non lav = 50% split, 50% non lav

lav x non lav = 100% split

Ok...here is another random question for my chicks that won't even be here for 3 more weeks...

I am going to get 2 Partridge Silkies in the mail, but will only get to keep one. It says in the generic information on the site that you will get a mix of bearded and not bearded...but I am only getting two...so who knows if that applies. I will have to decide that day which one I am going to keep. Can you tell on a 2-3 day old chick if it is bearded?

Quote:
The standard here in the states is such that all Silkies are Bantam in size. Do LF silkies exist? Yes but IMO you'll be hard pressed to find any state side. Some people I know of do have Silkies that are larger in size probably pretty decently above the standard. However most breeders & enthusiasts (myself included) do prefer to stay with what the standard calls for. If it's any help to you situation Silkies are considered one of the larger bantams. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Unless of course it is from another country or a project. Other countries (most of Europe, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) DO have large fowl silkies.

Oh my goodness...I should've known not to reply to that post. Haha!! I had no idea.

LOL I've done the same thing numerous times! Now I take great notes and reference them frequently to avoid putting my foot in my mouth... I still do though from time to time
lau.gif

Sonoran is a wonderful resource as always! That's why we love her!

Quote:
Venna is absolutely a beautiful girl! Gotta love cell phone quality huh? lol I say Black Butt is a roo and Little Head looks like a pullet from what I can tell but you're right the pics are pretty fuzzy. How old are they?

Quote:
Oh my goodness...I should've known not to reply to that post. Haha!! I had no idea.

I can't wait until I have a SQ largefowl brahma-sized (as in HUMUNGOUS) extra fluffy silkie to cuddle.
wink.png

Oh man I can just imagine how wonderful snuggling your face into a Mondo sized silkie would be!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom