Silkie thread!

i'm looking for good quailty partridge, calico, and splash. if anyone has aly please pm me thank you. wont be getting them till next year though unless you just want 20 (which i doubt that) but since its getting christmas time and i have 3 kids to buy for i cant pay anymore than 20 until next year. please pm me with how much a dozen plus shipping would cost to please. i will be placing all info in my record book to keep track of who pm's me.

thank you

I posted this question on the baby chick forum, but it seems you guys would know best. Do I need to separate my Silkies or can they coexist with my mixed flock? They've done well so far with the lavender orpingtons that hatched the same time, but I'm worried about how vulnerable they are to head injury/pecking by my older hens.

I have 3 silkies (by attitudes only I'm thinking 1 roo & 2 pullets) and 5 lavender orpingtons (I'm thinking it's 1 roo & 4 pullets based on comb & wattle growth & color). They are 6 weeks old tomorrow and all hatched/brooded together. They've done pretty well getting along to date. The two potential roos have butted heads a few times, but overall they've gotten along swell. So I'm wanting to merge them into my coop with the older flock = there are 5 in there right now, two almost 19 week old white leghorns (1 roo & 1 pullet) and three pullets (1 Ancona & 2 unknown potential EEs) that are 15 weeks old as of yesterday.

Here's a pic of my babies running loose in the run.
97463_baby_day_out_071.jpg

I've had all of the ages together in the same coop for two weeks now but the babies are sectioned off on the right side with hardware cloth and chicken wire.
97463_baby_day_out_058.jpg

Can the Silkies handle the occassional pecking order pecks or are they too fragile for that?

Quote:
what do you feed them because they are all different ages, i mean when you merge the two groups

They are all on Purina Start and Grow until the youngest gets to laying age
smile.png
then I'll change them to layer feed. The oldest just started to get some oyster shell when she wants to eat it - which she hasn't wanted to yet.

Quote:
Very cute pictures!! I think silkies are mostly more wimpy than other chickens because when they're all poofy they can't see it coming when other chickens pick on them. If you're raising them all around each other from babies, they would adapt pretty well I would think, but older hens might be too hard on them...

Quote:
what do you feed them because they are all different ages, i mean when you merge the two groups

They are all on Purina Start and Grow until the youngest gets to laying age
smile.png
then I'll change them to layer feed. The oldest just started to get some oyster shell when she wants to eat it - which she hasn't wanted to yet.

what will happen if i put 2 month old silkies in with my laying group and they eat layer

Back
Top Bottom