Silkie thread!

My first hatch was CJ babies...and I got a couple really nice ones out of nine. Bonk is one of them. CJ is great.

Thank you. It hatched along with some darling paints from Korki and a bunch of CJ exotic babies. I have quite the rainbow in the brooder. Some still working in the hatcher.

Okay I have a ? silkie breeders please help I want more chickies! My splash silkie hen is laying but her eggs aren't fertile. I think there cushions r too big how much do I trim off and what am I looking for??

My silkie black hen is hatching out her eggs, I'm soo excited I cant wait to see them, not going to disturb her now, any advice or is mama going to take care of everything. I of course have all the proper feed and such and a plush nesting box any extra info would be great thanks
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
The plumage is basically "starved", and feathers do not grow correctly. Colour is lacking, width may change, etc. Feathers grow fast, so even a day or two where the bird does not eat enough, or the right foods can cause feather growth issues. And of course, there could be factors that prevent a bird from metabolizing what it does eat.

The plumage is basically "starved", and feathers do not grow correctly. Colour is lacking, width may change, etc. Feathers grow fast, so even a day or two where the bird does not eat enough, or the right foods can cause feather growth issues. And of course, there could be factors that prevent a bird from metabolizing what it does eat.
Wow!! That all makes sence to me Thank you that's a lot of information.. I love learning new things thank you!!

My daughters silkies were actually transporting eggs from one nest to the other. Someone on this site said they can carry them by tucking them under their chin. I was just amazed!
th.gif

OMGosh!!! I've never heard of that!?! I had NO idea they could do that! I'm just stunned! Well... you all must have smarter birds than I have, is all I'm saying... hehe!! I don't think mine would ever do that. I have a backwards cockerel and a hen that can't figure out how to get back in her box, and when she finally does... it's too cold.

If she is still laying, that is probably what's going on. She's not quite ready to commit. Wait till she's stops laying and try her again. I just got 2 doz. wonderful silkie eggs in the mail today. I'm so excited because none had loose air cells! I added those and 6 of my own to the incubator to see if my roo is getting it done yet. These guys are a real trial, huh?

That could be very likely indeed! Thanks for the heads up on that. I've not dealt with a broody in a very long time! We've always had layers and they never sit on the nest. You were so lucky with your shipped eggs! That is so exciting!! I haven't gotten my eggs yet, so I'm hoping i have great luck too with that! I'm starting to get more serious about considering the AI route. I put eggs in two days ago to see if my own cockerel is finally figuring it out. So crossing my fingers! I'll be thinking of you too! :) Lets hope our boys have gotten their acts together.

Okay I have a ? silkie breeders please help I want more chickies! My splash silkie hen is laying but her eggs aren't fertile. I think there cushions r too big how much do I trim off and what am I looking for??

Oh my, I'm having the same problems too. Although, I don't think it's my pullet's problems... I'm fairly positive that it's my cockerel. He had a poop ball stuck in his rear fluff and I bathed him and got that out. Then he was initially grabbing them and just standing next to them instead of jumping on. Now he's jumping on-- but it's either sideways or backwards. I'm still wondering if his fluff is an issue. My pullets have LOTS of cushion, too. Very BIG-- if you go back a page you can see the picture posted of my hen nesting-- her fluff is going way over her head. Anyway, I started to trim the feathers right around the vent. I did end up yanking some out, too. But just put them over rears up and be super careful with your scissors. I didn't trim above the vent on my cockerel-- just below it and to the sides a bit, too. You could take that same approach to your hens. If they are messy on their rears-- I think you're just going to have to bathe them or cut it out.

Back
Top Bottom