Silkie Toe Curled Up

The Ranch Girl

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I have a silkie that just hatched today, I love watching them after hatching. She has five toes and I know that’s normal but getting a closer look at her feet I noticed one toe is curled up! I didn’t open the incubator to look more, I want her to dry first and honestly I’m hoping I saw it wrong. It’s one of the main 3 toes she stands on. If I am right, what can I do? I really hope this isn’t going to be a big problem .

I have a silkie that just hatched today, I love watching them after hatching. She has five toes and I know that’s normal but getting a closer look at her feet I noticed one toe is curled up! I didn’t open the incubator to look more, I want her to dry first and honestly I’m hoping I saw it wrong. It’s one of the main 3 toes she stands on. If I am right, what can I do? I really hope this isn’t going to be a big problem .
Hi I'm no expert but if she were mine I would immediately try to splint the toe. They are tiny but a piece of pipe cleaner will help and small piece of surgical tape or the rubber tape used on horses legs. A real tiny amount under the splint. After a few days check how she's doing. Sometimes they can quickly heal if it's just bent from being in the egg and not a actual birth defect. If it still is curled I'd put the splint on a little longer. Hope this helps.

Hi I'm no expert but if she were mine I would immediately try to splint the toe. They are tiny but a piece of pipe cleaner will help and small piece of surgical tape or the rubber tape used on horses legs. A real tiny amount under the splint. After a few days check how she's doing. Sometimes they can quickly heal if it's just bent from being in the egg and not a actual birth defect. If it still is curled I'd put the splint on a little longer. Hope this helps.
Ps the wrap goes over the splint not under.

Back
Top Bottom