Silkie, what breed? What sex? Is he/she really 6weeks old?

Pics
How old is paint now?
Around 9 months old. I think I'll have to do some major trimming around her eyes, and hope she will use her wings more with improved visibility. she can gain a lot of lift when she wants to, but isn't used to flying or even jumping up on things since she stuck to frizzle like a magnet, and frizzle was earthbound...

sorry to hear about your chicken. It could have been a respiratory disease so do keep a close eye on the rest of the flock, just in case.

Today is a sad day.

Frizzle dustmop has died of what I believe was dehydration. When I let the big girls out to free range today, I found frizzle somewhat lethargic with her beak open. I brought her in and gave her water with electrolytes and food... she had runny poop. her crop was empty and she was eager to eat...so I thought she would recover. but over the next few hours she went downhill so quickly. At the end of it, she was panting extremely hard with the occasional hiccup and flopping around. I couldn't bear to watch her flop around in the small tote, so I picked her up and she died in my arms...

I had water available for her in the same waterer she always had... so I'm not sure what happened to cause this. the only thing I can think of is that it was a little warm today and I switched to feeding them dry pellets this week instead of a crumbles mash. Paint satin is healthy. She was a little confused when I put her alone to bed tonight... I'm sure she will be sad without her broodermate.

rip my little dustmop...

:hit

I'm so sorry. :hugs

Paint is getting along quite well with the bigger girls. She gets an ocassional peck from the ROs, which is normal as the ROs are on the bottom of the pecking order. But is otherwise very happy to hang out with the other girls.

Attachments

• D509B042-80EB-4BE3-B04B-8C076D97E797.jpeg
    D509B042-80EB-4BE3-B04B-8C076D97E797.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom