Silkie

irish chick

Hatching
Dec 18, 2016
Hi I'm new to this stuff, I live in Ireland and have just two chickens, a black silkie and a goldtop I live in the city and kept them in my garden, I've had them about a year and a half and both layed well all last summer then my black silkie started laying again just before Christmas, I thought they didn't lay in winter! She's been giving me an egg almost every day or every other day but has recently taken to lay outside in a flower pot!!! Always laid in the nesting box before, does anyone know why they do this? PS... Just figured out how to post pictures, so here's a few, Fluffy in flower pot laying and Fionnuala keeping watch!!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. It could be a long shot, but maybe try cleaning out the nest box and check for lice. Sometimes, chickens just do what they do and it can often make little sense to us humans
smile.png

All the best
CT

Thanks for that, nest box cleaned every day and they treated for lice regularly so it's not that, as you say they'll just do their own thing
1f600.png

Thanks for that, nest box cleaned every day and they treated for lice regularly so it's not that, as you say they'll just do their own thing
1f600.png

Sounds like it. Some days, mine will use the nest boxes, other days, the bedding. I tend not to worry too much, as long as its not in very inconvenient place (outdoor sinks are not the best - I had one think that was a good idea)

That's good laying for a silkie. Banty ones in the US are not known as good layers. Usually they lay a few eggs and promptly go broody.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. It could be a long shot, but maybe try cleaning out the nest box and check for lice. Sometimes, chickens just do what they do and it can often make little sense to us humans :)

G’Day from down under irish chick
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom