Freeloading chicks

JennH07

Songster
13 Years
May 1, 2010
Hastings, MI
Hi All,
I have three cochins that are 5 years old and a dark Brahma that is fou. Where I live in the city, there is a code and I'm only allowed five chickens total and I'm down to four right now. My problem is that my girls are not laying eggs any longer they never did lay eggs in the winter even though they have a coup to keep them warm but they don't even lay every other day in the summer they're they're just old and tired and I really hate to cull them but I need the room to bring in fresh layers how do you cull a chicken I've never had to do this before and I really don't want to have to do it but I don't know what else to do.

At four and five years old, I'm sure they are just at the end of their laying cycle. You could try posting them on Craigslist, being sure to mention that they don't lay anymore. Lots of people keep hens past their prime, just for bug control and companionship. Or you could cull them yourself. I prefer the broomstick method

After their first year, hens don't lay in the winter. Even during their first year, winter laying may be inconsistent. I cannot give you any advice on how to cull. You could also try putting them up on Craiglist or FB, something like that. Be aware that you will have the same issue every second year.

Edit to add: As they are getting older, egg production decreases throughout the year, not only the winter months. For your future birds, I suggest you have a system in place, may that be another person taking them, or you culling them

Actually, it could be lack of nutrition that causes the hens not to produce eggs
Highly unlikely. Assuming they eat standard feed and have been healthy and laying normally for most of their lives.

Chickens reduce/stop laying for several reasons. They generally stop during and for a while after molting, during winter (due to less light, not colder temps), and due to illness/high stress. They naturally start reducing egg output after their second year and by year 5 will lay far less often than when young.

It is only rarely possible to find someone to take them off of your hands after they've declined in egg laying. Sending your animal "to the farm" is a story told to little children about why their old dog is gone, not generally a reality for older chickens.

-----------

If you are capable/willing to cull them yourself, here is a very good video on how to cull and process the bird to get the meat. Note that an older bird is tough, so you will want to use a slow cooker to make it tender.
How to Process a Chicken- Rumble

If you simply want to give it a quick, clean dispatch and aren't concerned about the meat, then you might want to use the "broomstick" method which simply snaps their neck. I don't have much knowledge about that method, so you would have to research it yourself.

If you aren't willing to cull them yourself, possibly you can find someone who can do it for you.

-----------

Handling older chickens is a too-little discussed topic for newbie chicken owners. You need to have a plan for the entire chicken life-cycle, including when they reduce/stop laying eggs.

Factory farms generally cull egg layers after 2 years due to their declining production. I give mine three as I'm willing to accept that reduced production in their 3rd year. After providing a good life for three years, they have one bad minute when I cull and process them.

Last edited:
At four and five years old, I'm sure they are just at the end of their laying cycle. You could try posting them on Craigslist, being sure to mention that they don't lay anymore. Lots of people keep hens past their prime, just for bug control and companionship. Or you could cull them yourself. I prefer the broomstick method
Um... Never heard of the broomstick method. Lol I am almost afraid to ask what that is.

Thank you very much for your reply and I totally agree with you and that is why I am looking into how to call them they were good layers the first two years and after that they have just tapered off and I know it is not due to feed as they've had the same food throughout their life. I will check into the broomstick method Thank you so much again

Back
Top Bottom