Silkie?

I think it depends on what your other birds are like. I have a few bantams in with my standard sized but, I know a lot of people who have trouble doing that.
I figure I’ll try it by introducing them slowly when they’re ready. Keeping them in a separate coop but within viewing range of my current flock. It worked with my olive eggers so I’m hoping I can have success with these guys. But I also have a catio that isn’t being used that I can use for them.

Frizzled feathers being petted from head to tail.
View attachment 2421864

Your boy looks like a bantam Cochin cross. I do not see Silkie in him at all. If he were pure Cochin, you would not see all those toes.
I love that video. It looks just like when I pet him. Not the silkie boy I thought he was but still super special.

I think I’m getting it. This is all very new to me. With how small he is... can he go in with standard size birds? Or should he, and his silkie friends, have run and coop to themselves? I have an EE roo that I’m worried will pick on him because of his size.
Yes. I have a mixed flock of bantams and standards. My bantam cochin likes to hand with the standard hens... even though they're twice his size XD

I would do the see but not touch method, like you're planning. I also have an EE roo, and unless the bantam roos are messing with his ladies, he ignores them. It might be a good idea to introduce your little frizzle before he hits his hormones, because then he can grow up with the EE in charge, which could help reduce fighting when he comes of age.

My bantams integrated very easily by putting them in my small chicken tractor inside the run, and then after a few days propping up one end with a rock so that they can come and go but the big chickens can't follow. Then I moved their brooder into the coop so they could be around the big chickens at night, and one day they started putting themselves to bed with the rest of the flock instead of waiting in the tractor for me to do it. Now, a month after that, they're all spread out at roost time, mixed with the big chickens.

Yes. I have a mixed flock of bantams and standards. My bantam cochin likes to hand with the standard hens... even though they're twice his size XD

I would do the see but not touch method, like you're planning. I also have an EE roo, and unless the bantam roos are messing with his ladies, he ignores them. It might be a good idea to introduce your little frizzle before he hits his hormones, because then he can grow up with the EE in charge, which could help reduce fighting when he comes of age.
That’s a good idea. I was going to wait until spring only because I have Lil Chi in with silkies that are three weeks younger than him. But it’s probably better to do it as soon as possible.
We thought he was a she for so long because when we introduced the silkies to him he was so gentle with them. My EE wasn’t gentle with any of the chicks when he was six weeks. And even the two day old Brahma, who I’m sure is a boy, pecked at Lil Chi and he just kinda looked at me. Sweetest baby.

That’s a good idea. I was going to wait until spring only because I have Lil Chi in with silkies that are three weeks younger than him. But it’s probably better to do it as soon as possible.
We thought he was a she for so long because when we introduced the silkies to him he was so gentle with them. My EE wasn’t gentle with any of the chicks when he was six weeks. And even the two day old Brahma, who I’m sure is a boy, pecked at Lil Chi and he just kinda looked at me. Sweetest baby.
Some a gentle, and some are little firecrackers right out of the starting gate! It's all part of their personalities. :)

Hope everything goes well! Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom