Silkie?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
This is Lil Chi. (S)he is a six week old silkie. But (s)he doesn’t look like the other silkies I hatched. (S)he hatched from what was supposed to be silkie eggs. We have been calling her a her but because of that large red comb I’m thinking her is a he. Is it too early to tell sex and why does she look so different? She’s squatting because the babies had to get a bath and were being blow dried.
7E0657A5-248D-4D56-A95D-9D27000E0306.jpeg
5B060607-499F-49D6-A963-4BE66F6D74E2.jpeg
BDE71765-9E30-4227-9268-DA14FAF558B9.jpeg
959EF838-1DD7-4743-96F8-934024E49B4E.jpeg

I was worried she was a he. But the other chicks that are in with Lil Chi are from the same breeder. I ordered them online and the eggs were sold as silkies. Got three that look like typical silkies and then him. 🤔
I don’t care that he isn’t a silkie or looks different. But the feathers are soft like a silkie. If he was just a frizzle would they still be soft?
He totally is super cute and a keeper.

Cute little silkie cross cockerel! If mom was a silkie and dad was a standard, then the yellow legs make sense.
I just went back to the sellers shop, I bought the eggs off Etsy, and they also sell barred rock and Cochin eggs. So I’m thinking your probably right. They have a picture of a brown frizzle that looks just like my Lil Chi. I asked the seller anyway and sent pictures. So weird that I got pure silkies from some and then a cross though. Or does that happen?

Six weeks. I asked the seller and I guess he’s a barred rock bantam frizzle Cochin. 🤦‍♀️
So I have no idea what breed that is or what that means. And what would happen if I bred him with my silkies.
Cochin is his breed. Bantam is his size. Barred (no Rock, that would mean he is a Plymouth Rock, which is a different breed and doesn't have feathered feet) is his coloring, and frizzled is his feather type.

Back
Top Bottom