Silkied Ameraucana Project

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CatKai, Sep 28, 2013.

1. LBKS

LBKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Louisburg, KS
    Not sure about frizzles, but I'm sure it'd be an interesting project!

Been caught up with a lot of things going on lately, but up to about 40 chicks hatched out and 92 more eggs in the incubator. There's going to be a lot of culling beyond just moving birds to the laying flock, but I think it'll be worth it for the project progress it'll help make possible. If only it was reasonable to hatch year round - could try for two generations in a year for faster progress!

2. CoopDeDoo

CoopDeDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Five of my Silkied AMs made it to lock down - 1 has pipped so far. Keep your fingers crossed and of course pics will be coming :)

3. marsha tutterow

marsha tutterow Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    Mocksville NC 27028
    Anyone have silkied Ameraucana chicks for sale?

4. LBKS

LBKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Louisburg, KS
    If you can pickup, I have blues and splashes (splits and silkied) - keeping all my blacks for my breeding project.

5. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    How many you want?

I can sell you black silkied chicks and I can ship [​IMG]

They won't be pure Blacks though as a lot of them will be split for Lavender.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  6. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I wish I could come get some of those splash chicks... I'll be looking for splash hatching eggs soon!

7. 8isenuff

8isenuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Georgetown, Tx
    Me too...I'm in Tx as well, so if you find some, let me know, and I'll do the same!

8. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Hope this thread isnt too old for someone to help me. This is my first time raising silkie chicks. They r about 2 weeks old and r having a hard time pooping. I am giving them chick starter and eletrolites and probiotics in their water. One chirps real loud and fast when it is trying to poop. Anyone?

9. CatKai

CatKai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    This thread isn't about the Silkie breed. Do a search in the section linked below and you will find more info. Sounds like they may need their rear ends washed to remove dried poo keeping them from being able to go. I just feed chick starter and for water I use organic Heinz or Bragg apple cider vinegar (w/ the mother) - 1 tbs to 1 gallon of water. Never have any problems.

Check this section:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

10. CoopDeDoo

CoopDeDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Just popping in to add a pic [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was taken 4/13/14 - one week old. 3 of these little ones hatched and 1 blue non-silkied feathered one. I will post more pics of all 4 soon. Very excited about these little ones[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by