Silkied Ameraucana Project

So you have one Silkied Cochin and then 1 Split to cross? Or you don't have the original Silkied Cochin, just 1 Split from the hatch out left?

Silkied Cochin x Regular Cochin = 100% Split Cochin

If you had 1 offspring of that hatch survive, you have 1 Split Cochin.

If you:
  • Cross with the original Silkied Cochin, it'd be Silkied Cochin x Split Cochin = 50% Silkied Cochin, 50% Split Cochin
  • Cross with a Regular Cochin, it'd be Split Cochin x Regular Cochin = 50% Split Cochin, 50% Regular Cochin

If you take the offspring of a Split Cochin x Regular Cochin and cross them back to the original Silkied Cochin, you'd see a small number of Silkied Cochin and the rest would be Split Cochin.

You should be able to test with a Silkie or another Silkied bird to see if a suspected split is actually one, assuming it is the same sort of mutation. You could theoretically test with another split bird, but it'd be too much hassle to be worth it IMO.

Does that answer your question?

I just have one silkied cochin at this point. Yes, I believe you've answered my question -- that a split for silkied will pass that split on in a small percentage, so within that generation (a regular feathered group off by themselves, some of which are split) there could possibly be silkied offspring from that group. Please correct me if I don't have it right. THANKS!

I just have one silkied cochin at this point. Yes, I believe you've answered my question -- that a split for silkied will pass that split on in a small percentage, so within that generation (a regular feathered group off by themselves, some of which are split) there could possibly be silkied offspring from that group. Please correct me if I don't have it right. THANKS!
As long as you have a Split, that split will pass on the gene to 50% of their offspring. If in your Split & Regular flock your rooster is a Regular, you will not see any Silkied in the next generation hatch, and could potentially risk losing the gene if you cull your flock -- because you can't tell who is a Split and who is not. If your rooster is a Split, you should see Silkied in the next generation (though you may have to hatch quite a few eggs since the odds aren't very good).

If your Silkied Cochin is a hen, you'd be able to test breed with different roosters until you found one that was a Split to use in your flock of Split & Regular. You'd want to hatch at least 16 eggs successfully from the Silkied Cochin hen x ? Cochin [P(at least one Silkied in set) = 1-(1-0.25)^16 = 0.99] to have a very good idea if the rooster was a Split. If after 16 successful hatches from the cross you have no Silkied offspring, you can be reasonably sure that the father is not actually a Split, so you should try another rooster. If you have any Silkied offspring from a test, you can be sure the father is Split.

Good luck on your project!
big_smile.png

I have these two lovely split cockerels available if anyone up here in the PNW is interested in this project - I cannot have rooster so they must be re-homed. They were hatched 4/5/14 from Silkied AM eggs.

I found a home for my cockerels. I explained exactly what they were and even linked this thread in my ad so that people understood that they were getting a "project" AM. They were very excited about it. Just didn't want to falsely advertise them - too much of that already in Ameraucana world.

I found a home for my cockerels. I explained exactly what they were and even linked this thread in my ad so that people understood that they were getting a "project" AM. They were very excited about it. Just didn't want to falsely advertise them - too much of that already in Ameraucana world.
Glad they found homes! Thank you for taking the time to explain the project to people so they understood about the birds
smile.png

Does anyone sell silkied ameraucana hatching eggs? Or is within 200 miles of 38301 area code for pick up? PM me, Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom