Silkied Ameraucana Project

Hello everyone. I've read the entire original thread and have been following this one as well. Amazing roller coaster ride you have all been on, but so glad that the silkied trait has been preserved in the breed. Whether they gain acceptance or not, I think they are cool and will be very popular.

Wanted also to express my appreciation to all who have taken the time to post on BYC and share their knowledge and experiences. I have learned a lot. My interest stemmed from 2 silkied Serama chicks that hatched in my son's 4-H project from smooth parents, so I figured we'd better understand how this happened. Recessive genes... Now we know!
smile.png

Since Seramas are just beginning to gain ABA acceptance, I have also been reading APA/ABA culture for Newcomers. The process seems a bit daunting, and the politics and strong opinions are unappealing to me, but I did read that the requirements may be changing (or already have?). Breeders working for acceptance of a new variety must now be APA/ABA members for the 5 years to be counted toward the requirement. Just a heads-up, you all probably already know this, but I'd hate to see anyone's dedicated hard work not be counted.

Oh, and all pictures are greatly appreciated!
Best wishes to you all.
frow.gif

I hatched these eggs out from CatKai and have been impatiently waiting for them to get a little older so I can determine what I have. Can someone give me their opinion on what sex these may be.

Those combs are all quite red for 10 weeks old
tongue.gif

I would say #1 could still possibly be a girl but the rest look like boys to me.

Since they are CatKai's line though she would know best how hers sex at that age.

Do you have others from the same hatch?

I am following this subject since I have a silkied Cochin banty that I was informed was from spontaneous lineage. (If there's a silkied Cochin thread, I haven't came across it yet.) I hatched 4, but ended up with one, as the other 3 apparently failed to eat/drink by day three.

Will a silkied split x non-split result in any silkied splits?

Does it work to use an actual Silkie for testing for split silkied of my silkied Cochin x Orpington F2 crosses?

I am following this subject since I have a silkied Cochin banty that I was informed was from spontaneous lineage. (If there's a silkied Cochin thread, I haven't came across it yet.) I hatched 4, but ended up with one, as the other 3 apparently failed to eat/drink by day three.

Does it work to use an actual Silkie for testing for split silkied of my silkied Cochin x Orpington F2 crosses?

So, NOT a Silkie cross? It's possible that is the same mutation or...the first mutation... The "st" mutation was first discovered, but the chicks never survived past 2 weeks....then it was discovered again 5 years later. Those survived so they named the mutation st-2. I've seen another breed somewhere that has this same feather type...I'll have to find it again...

Last edited:

So you have one Silkied Cochin and then 1 Split to cross? Or you don't have the original Silkied Cochin, just 1 Split from the hatch out left?

Silkied Cochin x Regular Cochin = 100% Split Cochin

If you had 1 offspring of that hatch survive, you have 1 Split Cochin.

If you:
  • Cross with the original Silkied Cochin, it'd be Silkied Cochin x Split Cochin = 50% Silkied Cochin, 50% Split Cochin
  • Cross with a Regular Cochin, it'd be Split Cochin x Regular Cochin = 50% Split Cochin, 50% Regular Cochin

If you take the offspring of a Split Cochin x Regular Cochin and cross them back to the original Silkied Cochin, you'd see a small number of Silkied Cochin and the rest would be Split Cochin.

You should be able to test with a Silkie or another Silkied bird to see if a suspected split is actually one, assuming it is the same sort of mutation. You could theoretically test with another split bird, but it'd be too much hassle to be worth it IMO.

Does that answer your question?

So, NOT a Silkie cross? It's possible that is the same mutation or...the first mutation... The "st" mutation was first discovered, but the chicks never survived past 2 weeks....then it was discovered again 5 years later. Those survived so they named the mutation st-2. I've seen another breed somewhere that has this same feather type...I'll have to find it again...

The chick is not a silkie cross. All 4 of them were from a silkied cochin roo x silkied cochin hen. I suppose there was a mutation along the way in that cochin flock, they weren't mine. I only have one silkied cochin to work with at this time and intend to cross with a chocolate orpington bantam for the chocolate gene, then back to cochin. F1 will give me all splits, but when I get to my next hatch I'll have splits and non-splits (neither will be silkied). If I keep those all together, could I get any silkied out of that group by chance? I'm thinking way ahead, but I don't want to grow them out if it's not a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom