Silkied Ameraucana Project

Here they are! A quick trip out to the sun for a very quick pic, then back to the brooder. Sorry they aren't that great, was in a hurry to get them back to their tub.

love.gif
AWESOME!!!!! Great hatch!

Anyone interested in free Silkied Ameraucana cockerels please PM me. I have a couple young Black split to Lavender boys growing out that could use a home.

Just pay box/shipping and yours for free...hate to put them down. I may even have a few Lavender boys too...

Last edited:
Anyone interested in free Silkied Ameraucana cockerels please PM me. I have a couple young Black split to Lavender boys growing out that could use a home.

Just pay box/shipping and yours for free...hate to put them down. I may even have a few Lavender boys too...

That's awesome! I'm in good shape but for anyone wanting silkied genes - or even black genes if they had a project other than lav they needed them for - this would work!

I was going to wait til fall but I've got plenty of coverage and more growing out so..........

I'm in mid-MO 65452 NPIP and AI Monitored - pickup encouraged but can ship if meet your state's criteria.

I'm letting a breeding pen of Chookschicks line choc/mauve SiAms go. These are all splits, 2years or younger. This pen has been producing a good amount of mauve/splash pullets & silkied chicks.
For those that have bought hatching eggs in the past - this is the S2 pen.

For cockerels/roos: splash - proven for choc and silkied split
3 blues - these have been bachelor penned but they have had access to egg flock in the past I've just not split off and test hatched individually.
each has 50/50% of being split to choc
from split to split breedings they have even shot to be sikied splits.
pullets/hens: 3 blues - females cannot be choc splits - so they are not. Have not split and test bred but with a for sure split cockerel a good number of silkied chicks were produced.

Cockerels can go solo, pullets will not.

I may have a full silkied or two (chick/juvie) I would cough up from either this pen or from my CatKai blacks as a quantity package deal sweetner.

This is as good or better start as I had. Only a handful of split chicks will be offered for the next year. If you've wanted choc/mauve SiAms - this is the time.

Please PM to discuss.

Just curious when you were able to sex chicks and via what method?

The reason I'm asking....noticed last night that I have one chick with a NOTICEABLY huge/wide baby comb. They are now about three weeks old. Only one of the 10 has it....surely I'm not that lucky?

Also, at about two days old, I put the incubator-chicks in a very low profile box and placed it in the feed room with Bertha-the-Broody and her single chick. Bertha nocked the "door" down on the makeshift brooder and claimed the other chicks as her own. I've never been exposed to a mama with chicks before. It's so interesting to watch them. She's such a good mama! I have a nosy (but harmless) 110-lb male Dobermann that doesn't know he's a BIG dog. He got just a little too close and Bertha jumped him....poor guy never saw it coming!

Just curious when you were able to sex chicks and via what method?

The reason I'm asking....noticed last night that I have one chick with a NOTICEABLY huge/wide baby comb. They are now about three weeks old. Only one of the 10 has it....surely I'm not that lucky?

Also, at about two days old, I put the incubator-chicks in a very low profile box and placed it in the feed room with Bertha-the-Broody and her single chick. Bertha nocked the "door" down on the makeshift brooder and claimed the other chicks as her own. I've never been exposed to a mama with chicks before. It's so interesting to watch them. She's such a good mama! I have a nosy (but harmless) 110-lb male Dobermann that doesn't know he's a BIG dog. He got just a little too close and Bertha jumped him....poor guy never saw it coming!

I can only speak to my own experiences attempting to sex them with this summary. I had what I thought were 4 black silkied pullets. At around 6 months, one finally developed a redder comb, so at first I thought she was getting close to lay. And then it kept growing. Late bloomer rooster.

I don't consider them a sure thing until they crow or lay an egg in front of me anymore!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom