Silkied Serama

The hawks are brutal this year. I finally had to give up and stop letting my birds run free
for an hour before sunset each evening. The hawks are relentless
and it no longer scares them off even if I stand there playing goalie.

Tumbleweed & Tweety

NO. For one thing, you might get lynched by the purists, but the main reason is...if you are aiming for tiny silkies, why not just work with silkies and consistently select for smaller and smaller birds? I know they're out there, read about 'em.

As a Serama fancier...I'm asking nicely. I'm new. I don't want to have to worry about the pedigree on any Serama with silky feathers I get...and I would! :( The folks who *have* Seramas with silkie feathering have worked very very hard to keep that type, attitude, performance and shape as well as quality of feathering on their birds.

The Serama is still a new breed, with a long way to go to fully 'set' its true characteristics solidly--please don't screw around with that process in your search for a small silkie. :(

Then by all means, do it ethically and with a careful, researched plan to get to your goal. If you sell birds that aren't at least 4 generations purebred, make sure people understand what they're getting. Even four generations isn't enough to count something 'pure', really--you need more like 7, as well as having lines which reliably throw offspring consistent with the defined goals/standard.

Yes I have no intention of screwing up the breed and am educated in genetics and will probably only breed 1 at a time for each generation and won't sell them til I am satisfied but I may not even do this its just an idea at the moment

*whew* Ok, good, I can quit panicking now. :) :) They way it was originally put sounded like some kid doing something just for the heck of it, which got me uptight. My apologies!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom