Silkies 101 - 20 of the most common Silkie questions...

I know the formula--lavender (two copies) plus red (as in a SQ RIR). I know where I can get bantam SQ RIR (a breeder in my local club is or recently was the RIR club president)--it's just deciding if I want to try it out or not. As with all things lavender, it takes two geneations to get viewable results.

Thus my dilemma. Needs to be a dark mahogany bird--I don't know any other breeds that are that dark a red. The bantams are supposed to be nicer birds than the largefowl, and there are rose combed ones, so comb isn't an issue.

What's the easiest way to remove the "cases" of the pinfeathers off the crest? I've got a patch of them on my one partridge girl and was just wondering to keep them like that or remove the casings.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Pinch the feathers between your index finger and thumb, then gently roll your fingers back and forth. This will break the wax coating up. Then take a flea comb and comb through the top knot repeatedly. The fine teeth of the comb will help to remove the wax coating, but be careful and dont pull on anything otherwise you'll inadvertently remove feathers from the head.

Or let it occur naturally...

Last edited:
Quote:
Pinch the feathers between your index finger and thumb, then gently roll your fingers back and forth. This will break the wax coating up. Then take a flea comb and comb through the top knot repeatedly. The fine teeth of the comb will help to remove the wax coating, but be careful and dont pull on anything otherwise you'll inadvertently remove feathers from the head.

Or let it occur naturally...

Thankyou once again
smile.png
I went out and bought a flea comb and it is working great on her crest. I usually let it occur naturally but with my show this Saturday I'd prefer not to have that patch of waxy pinfeathers.

Quote:
No, it is not manufactured. A good quality Silkie should possess a good amount of natural shredding in the wing and tail feathers. And it is possible to make a not so shredded wing look more shredded by using a flea comb or wire slicker brush.

As to whether or not it is considered 'faking', I believe only you can answer that, as it is something that you'll have to decide for yourself. Poultry exhibitors do lots of things to make their birds look better, for instance Vet-Rx on the comb and legs, nail and beak trimming, crest trimmming etc. Some people believe that these things are 'faking' as well. In my opinion, they are only enhancing what the bird already possesses; kinda like waxing a car. The car is already nice, but a fresh coat of wax makes it look nice and shiny. You'll have to decide how honest you want your 'show' to be. Does this make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. I have never been to a chicken show, so I don't know what amount of "prep" is allowed. In AKC some breeds forbid the use of baby powder etc... can't even trim a whisker! What is born is how it is supposed to be shown, other than a bath, blow out and brushing. Even the shor coat breeds like German Shorhiared Pointers get QUITE A BIT of prep, trimming, baby powder if they are very light colored, coat conditioner that adds shine, and even spray stuff on the botom of their feet to make them tacky so they don't slip on the turns if it is a smooth floor. All that for a slick, short haired, hunting type dog that should just be wash 'n wear.

Horses, people go to EXTREME lenths to change their looks, including putting needles into the crests of their necks and heating them with a lighter to help melt the fat so it can be removed by rolling it with a rolling pin, sweating their necks for hours, binding them with neck sweats, treadmill workouts, backing the horse up a hill, putting them in a small pen and having them change direction time and time again to build up the haunches, breaking and removing the nerve to the tail so they can't swish it when you put a spur in them, they look better trained and happier than they really are. Also surgically altering the ear shape, tatooing around the eyes, surgically removing white spots that shouldn't be there, adding spots to horses that need them, braces to straighten their teeth, inserting fake testicles for cryptorchids, and ON and on and on... none, or at least most of the above is not legal for horse showing but it is standard practice in NUMEROUS world caliber trainer barns. I wouldn't do it even if I was GUARANTEED never to get caught. What's the point of trimming a stud's ears if all his babies are going to be lop eared anyhow? Not worth it. Get a stud with little ears if that is what you want. I guess same with chickens.

Kind of sounds like the Miss America pagent...
ep.gif

I'm new to the Silkie breed, and I just got my first pair of silkies this past weekend. When they have a hard time seeing, do you pluck or trim the feathers around their eyes? If so, HOW do you do it? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom