1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies are good for you!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Cuban Longtails, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Another article from Science Daily. I couldn't resist sharing. [​IMG] There's a very helpful peptide in Silkie meat (twice as much of it than in regular chickens), because of the silkie's black skin/meat & bones.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060914153621.htm

A silkie a day keeps the doctor away! [​IMG]

2. starshrike

starshrike Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    OH yes, exceptionally tasty in soup. It's a darker, gamey-er meat than regular chicken.

I don't know if I could bring myself to raise them. Unlike most, I don't like the small fluffy feathering.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They aren't too bad. Mine free range, though they stay pretty close to the house. No losses yet, not even to the rain (plenty of places to hide/shelter). Mine are all hatchery stock, not show stock. They don't have the big head poufs or beards. They weathered the winter pretty good too, but we only had snow once or twice and it only lasted for about a day each time.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Silkies are pretty in demand in the Asian market. I raise silkies and the extra roos usually go to soup. They go for about 5-6 bucks a lb for frozen silkie. My mom always eyes my hens and askes if she can eat them yet!

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Hm-mm, I know they have black skin, but I didn't know they have black meat also. Very interesting article.

6. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I have tons of exttas silkies right now and most likely some roosters in the mix that I will have to butcher. I'm just not sure if I can get past the black meat and bones. And the fact when they are cleaned they look like some novelty toy lol!

[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The meat is more grey. The color in the tissues is due to the pigmentation found in the connective tissues. There is more connective tissue in skin than in muscle, thus the darker skin and lighter muscle.

8. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Sorry I just can't imagine eating one. O.O

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I've been trying to tell everyone to eat them, or they will eat us.

Ace how on Earth did you pluck those? Wow.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by