Silkies are good for you!

Cuban Longtails

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast Texas
Another article from Science Daily. I couldn't resist sharing.
big_smile.png
There's a very helpful peptide in Silkie meat (twice as much of it than in regular chickens), because of the silkie's black skin/meat & bones.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060914153621.htm

A silkie a day keeps the doctor away!
wink.png

OH yes, exceptionally tasty in soup. It's a darker, gamey-er meat than regular chicken.

I don't know if I could bring myself to raise them. Unlike most, I don't like the small fluffy feathering.

They aren't too bad. Mine free range, though they stay pretty close to the house. No losses yet, not even to the rain (plenty of places to hide/shelter). Mine are all hatchery stock, not show stock. They don't have the big head poufs or beards. They weathered the winter pretty good too, but we only had snow once or twice and it only lasted for about a day each time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silkies are pretty in demand in the Asian market. I raise silkies and the extra roos usually go to soup. They go for about 5-6 bucks a lb for frozen silkie. My mom always eyes my hens and askes if she can eat them yet!

I have tons of exttas silkies right now and most likely some roosters in the mix that I will have to butcher. I'm just not sure if I can get past the black meat and bones. And the fact when they are cleaned they look like some novelty toy lol!

Silkies_butchered.jpg

The meat is more grey. The color in the tissues is due to the pigmentation found in the connective tissues. There is more connective tissue in skin than in muscle, thus the darker skin and lighter muscle.

Back
Top Bottom