Manahawkin NJ
what do you think
P1010319-2.jpg
P1010323-1.jpg
th
P1010324-2.jpg
e same bird again
P1010320-1.jpg

It's so hard to tell with those Silkies... I've been told that you never know for sure until it lays an egg or crows... and I believe it!! I wasn't sure about my girls until they started getting attention from the roo!

I am not sure about yours, I think the first and last one are roos and the middle one is a pullet. I have three 9 week old silkies and one has a comb about the size of your white silkie and the other two have a flat wide area there, no comb yet. So I am guessing that means two pullets and one roo. I also have three 4 week old silkies and one of them has the beginning of a comb forming too and it is very cocky. So I think either mine are easier to determine than most, or I am being fooled beyond belief! Either way, I spend way too much time with chickens. LOL. They are too cute either way. My white one that I believe to be a roo looks just like your white one but he has some kind of neurological damage and his head wobbles side to side. He eats and does fine otherwise. But we call him Loopy! Thought it fit! I hope he gets better but I doubt it. But we will love him until he dies either way. Take care of those babies, hoping you have what you want!!!

Marie

I am the worst at sexing Silkies! I have a splash Silkie now that I'm almost possitive is a pullet, but I guess I won't know for sure is she is a definat SHE until there is an egg.haha

Bummer! I found this thread and hoped I'd found an answer to my silkie gender questions.
I have 2 with the rounded comb and one with a toothy comb. The rounded comb silkies are more adventurous than the one with the toothy comb. I was really hoping I had 2 girls and 1 boy, but after reading all these entries I'm not so sure.
I love the silkies but am not supposed to have a rooster. Do they crow very loud? The neighbor who asked for no roosters has a barking dog that poops in my yard and climbs around in my vegetable beds. So if silkies don't crow loud I figure I can negotiate for keeping one...

Well, from what I can tell, in the roos the comb gets big faster just like in other breeds? But I don't know. I have one that seems very roo like and at 12 weeks old, he/she has a much larger comb than the others the same age. And I have one 8 week old silkie that has a comb almost as big so I think it is probably safe to say he is a roo. But we shall see if my guesses are ok. I hope not to have too many roos, I can't keep them all if they are roos. And I hatched them so they are all special to me. But we will see. I will try to get some pics of then and the combs so you guys can compare.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom