Silkies fighting! Help!

I think that the white bird is a cockerel. Not sure about the gray chick. Try posting on the Silkie thread, and see if both are boys?
That coop doesn't look well enough ventilated, and what are the dimensions?
Mary
Hi Mary,

This is what it says on the omlet website for the eglu cube. It says ventilation is at the front and back. Mine is on grass unlike the one in the photo. I think I will try posting in silkie thread too thank you. https://www.omlet.co.uk/misc/eglu_comparison

As I said earlier I don't keep Silkies. But I have raised other chickens. Breed doesn't mean that much to me as to when they start to lay. I've had pullets lay earlier than their breed is supposed to lay. I've had them lay a lot later. First, they are all individuals. Some of the same breed from the same flock lay earlier or later than others. You have to have enough for averages to mean much before breed tendencies mean much. I find strain means more than breed. If you keep flocks separate and select who gets to breed in one flock for early laying you will soon have a flock that lays earlier than a flock where the breeder does not select for early laying. So don't get too hung up on when Silkies might or might not start to lay.

I was going to say the white one was male because of the red comb and wattles at that age. I was not sure of the other, but Silkie experts have weighed in. Sorry.

White is cockerel.

Blue looks to be a possible cockerel, comb is small which makes it difficult until he/she reaches about 5-6 months of age. The crest shape says cockerel to me though.

Thank you all for your advice and help. As a new flock owner it is truly appreciated. Sounds like I have one definite cockerel and possibly another too :th. Not what I hoped :hitmore than I bargained for but at least now I know. :) Rehoming will be next.. :(Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom