Silkie's first egg - prolapse and egg bound

the_peep_squad

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
My 5 month old silkie pullet laid her first egg. Unfortunately its full size and looks (according to my research) like a prolapsed vent as well as egg bound. The egg is stuck. I tried soaking her in a bath for about 30 min. I tried pushing it out but couldn't find an opening. I tried pushing it gently back in but stopped when I felt resistance. I let her chill in a cover box for a couple of hours while we dealt with getting the generator running. PGE shut off the power to my area.

A couple of veterans (not nearby) said to rub veg oil on the exposed area. When I did that I noticed she had pooped several times in the box. Im worried about her getting cold too because she is still damp from the bath. I was worried about using the blow dryer on the prolapsed area, worried it might make things worse.

Any ideas?

pics would be a good start if you can <3

also get some epson salt, make a warm bath and put 1 cup of salts to 4 gallons of water etc.
keep her in the water for a few hours. if the water is too hot it can hurt her, if its too cold she wont sit in it. hold her in there a few hours, and do this a few times a day till she passes the egg. also coat the egg with vasiline or oil to lubricate it. it can help her pass the egg.

I share this video with everyone as it is the best one i have found.

Back
Top Bottom