Silkies Free to Good Home

MnMBar

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2020
Hello all,
I have 9 Silkie pullets and 1 cockerel that I would like to find good homes. They're all 8 months old and are free on a first come first serve basis with the caveat that whomever takes them would promise not to eat them. These cute little guys are pets not livestock to me. I am giving them away because it's just not working out. I made a promise when I first got them that I wouldn't keep them if things didn't pan out as I hoped. And, unfortunately, it's not. So, I need them to go to good homes. All nine pullets are laying eggs. Although, two of the pullets have gone broody this week. That or they just really don't like the cold and the snow. 🥶 The roo is very watchful and only crows a little bit - usually in the morning when some large birds fly overhead. If you want to see pictures, please go to my previous thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-identifying-the-gender-of-my-silkies.1417829/

They were 5 months here but they haven't changed much in appearance - The only two that have changed a bit are Miss Independence - she now has two black feathers; and Mando - who has larger iridescent green feathering in his tail feathers

I live in Northern New Jersey and don't mind delivering them locally. Local to me is anything under a 2 hour drive or thereabouts. Please let me know if you are interested or know anyone who might be. Did I mention they are super cute, soft and fluffy! And would make great Christmas gifts! Thanks for reading.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
has anyone come to get them? I wish I could, maybe we can drive out to the unmanned part of the border and walk across like refugees :) (imagine us walking with a bunch of chickens following us in the snow)
I can imagine us turning ourselves in to the RCMP (border police in Canada) and saying we are asking for asylum. "No, officer, not us, we are Canadian, it is the chickens that need asylum."

Last edited:
has anyone come to get them? I wish I could, maybe we can drive out to the unmanned part of the border and walk across like refugees :) (imagine us walking with a bunch of chickens following us in the snow)
I can imagine us turning ourselves in to the RCMP (border police in Canada) and saying we are asking for asylum. "No, officer, not us, we are Canadian, it is the chickens that need asylum."

Haha! That would be a sight! But a great story for the officers to tell their grandkids one day.
Unfortunately, they haven't found homes yet. I understand that holiday time can be really busy though. I'm hoping I get some takers in January.

Last edited:
Just want to let everyone know that all my little cuties found great new homes. I am sorry to see them go, but happy with their new caretakers. Thanks to all who posted responses and suggestions. I appreciate you all! Take care.

I am glad for you that you found homes for them. I showed my hubby, and he was so in love with them he would have driven me there and built them their own house, but the issue with the border was something we didn't know anything about, so we thought best not to get into a situation where they got confiscated by border-police :( Thank you for feeding my daydreams :)

I did check into the rules on getting them to Canada. And if I still hadn't found local homes for them by the time vaccines made it possible to travel again, I might have jumped through the hoops to get them to you. 😊 Silkies are definitely a fun breed. They are so incredibly cute, soft, and so friendly! I highly recommend them! I miss them so much already! I miss my daily heart to heart with my roo on how he is a suburban rooster and so he needed to adjust his volume level. And we would talk about how he needed to always treat his ladies with respect. He would eyeball me very intensely and seem like he was listening. And when my girls started laying, I had to explain to them that no, you really aren't dying...you're just laying an egg. We would commiserate together and I would console them and congratulate them when they laid their first few eggs. They were so proud..or relieved..I'm not sure which. I had to train a few to use the nest box instead of the roost, explaining to them that if they ever wanted chicks it wasn't the wisest place to lay an egg. There was a lot of debate on that one, but eventually they agreed. Then we finally got into a routine together. I loved every minute of it. Well...I didn't like how much they poop! Good grief! I never knew how much those little birds can eliminate in a day and man! Does it stink! Especially the broody stuff! I can't say that I will miss that. But everything else, I will. Even Mando's occasional crowing had grown on me. They took a peice of my soul with them when they left. I wish things could've worked out and I could've kept them. But...I have a lot of other things to be thankful for. And, they have great new homes. I'm not worried about their fates! Life is good! This ended up being a lot longer than expected.... Guess I needed to get that off my chest. Thanks BYC for having a place for me to do so.

Back
Top Bottom