Silkies in need of new home!!

Gretelandthechickens

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2018
Hello! I currently own two silkie bantams, one white rooster and a black hen.
Very sadly I am no longer able to keep them due to family issues and I need to re-home them as soon as possible.
I've tried asking friends and family but I can't find anyone to take them in a pair, they've grown up together since day one and I prefer to keep them together, I don't want to try craigslist due to it's reputation and this is the last place I can think of to try.
I am located in the Central-Northern part of California, if interested please Email me at [email protected]
Thank you!

Attachments

• 13122.jpeg
    13122.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180709_232930_005 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180709_232930_005 (1).jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 27
Hello! I currently own two silkie bantams, one white rooster and a black hen.
Very sadly I am no longer able to keep them due to family issues and I need to re-home them as soon as possible.
I've tried asking friends and family but I can't find anyone to take them in a pair, they've grown up together since day one and I prefer to keep them together, I don't want to try craigslist due to it's reputation and this is the last place I can think of to try.
I am located in the Central-Northern part of California, if interested please Email me at [email protected]
Thank you!
A few months ago I made the difficult decision to rehome a persistently broody hen.
She was the sweetest of our flock.
But- we have a small urban flock and aren’t set up to increase the size of it.

I composed a compelling craigslist ad on the off-chance that someone would respond.
Within an hour I had four very considerable offers. It was like the story of Goldilocks and the three (4) bears.

I exchanged several emails through the craigslist email system with each of the candidates and ultimately chose the one person who it turned out lives just a few miles from me. We met in a public place for the exchange for safety reasons.

I’m sure there were many people wondering when they left the corner market why a woman was sitting in the parking lot sobbing with a Buff Orpington chicken clutched tightly to her chest.

The new owner’s flock was a similar size to mine but her coop and property space allowed her to grow her flock and her hens were not breeds that are prone to broodiness.

My hen hatched three adorable healthy chicks and was a fantastic mama. She is living a great life. Her new owner sends me updates and photos which have made me tearfully happy about my decision.

Not everyone’s experience is the same of course, but I wanted to tell you that it can have a positive outcome of you get good responses and make a considerate decision.
Best of luck.

A few months ago I made the difficult decision to rehome a persistently broody hen.
She was the sweetest of our flock.
But- we have a small urban flock and aren’t set up to increase the size of it.

I composed a compelling craigslist ad on the off-chance that someone would respond.
Within an hour I had four very considerable offers. It was like the story of Goldilocks and the three (4) bears.

I exchanged several emails through the craigslist email system with each of the candidates and ultimately chose the one person who it turned out lives just a few miles from me. We met in a public place for the exchange for safety reasons.

I’m sure there were many people wondering when they left the corner market why a woman was sitting in the parking lot sobbing with a Buff Orpington chicken clutched tightly to her chest.

The new owner’s flock was a similar size to mine but her coop and property space allowed her to grow her flock and her hens were not breeds that are prone to broodiness.

My hen hatched three adorable healthy chicks and was a fantastic mama. She is living a great life. Her new owner sends me updates and photos which have made me tearfully happy about my decision.

Not everyone’s experience is the same of course, but I wanted to tell you that it can have a positive outcome of you get good responses and make a considerate decision.
Best of luck.
That story warmed my heart, when I realized I had to get rid of the two I just sat there with them crying for a good while, they already made their way into my heart and I wanted to keep them in my family.
This gave me a better outlook though so thank you, I'll try my absolute best to give them to the best home.

The rooster is very nice actually which surprised me after reading about the mood changes, he very rarely pecks you and it'll usually only be because you're wearing jewelry he finds attractive or if you annoy him constantly. He definitely doesn't go out of his way to attack and he's pretty chill for the most part.
I'll see about any ways I can try to get them over there and get back to you!

So glad I could help broaden your options. Dory is my avatar. She went broody for the first time just 1 month after POL.
She was so very sweet and spent a lot of time in the house wearing a hospital mask as a diaper. Lol
At first, breaking her broody spells wasn’t too difficult since it was in the summertime and I could bring her indoors and crank the ac down to frigid and park her little crate right over a floor vent. A few days of “chill therapy” and she’d snap out of it but once the cooling season switched to the heating season, there was NOTHING that could dissuade her from broodiness. So many back to back broody spells didn’t allow for her to pick weight back up and recondition. Buffs are all fluff. You have to handle them to monitor then and know if they are carrying enough weight.
I knew that if this pattern continued she would die.
It was my responsibility to make the right decision for her wellbeing.
She was such a good bird.
View attachment 1526804

View attachment 1526796

I am so wishing you the very best in your search!
Hospital mask as a diaper -- brilliant!

That story warmed my heart, when I realized I had to get rid of the two I just sat there with them crying for a good while, they already made their way into my heart and I wanted to keep them in my family.
This gave me a better outlook though so thank you, I'll try my absolute best to give them to the best home.
So glad I could help broaden your options. Dory is my avatar. She went broody for the first time just 1 month after POL.
She was so very sweet and spent a lot of time in the house wearing a hospital mask as a diaper. Lol
At first, breaking her broody spells wasn’t too difficult since it was in the summertime and I could bring her indoors and crank the ac down to frigid and park her little crate right over a floor vent. A few days of “chill therapy” and she’d snap out of it but once the cooling season switched to the heating season, there was NOTHING that could dissuade her from broodiness. So many back to back broody spells didn’t allow for her to pick weight back up and recondition. Buffs are all fluff. You have to handle them to monitor then and know if they are carrying enough weight.
I knew that if this pattern continued she would die.
It was my responsibility to make the right decision for her wellbeing.
She was such a good bird.
1871B463-0F1C-4A9B-BB27-6135519B6F1B.jpeg

E3610B6C-917A-46AE-A66E-913FBA389E8A.jpeg

I am so wishing you the very best in your search!

Attachments

• 497A8F41-778B-4590-BD27-E4BA5663BD6F.jpeg
    497A8F41-778B-4590-BD27-E4BA5663BD6F.jpeg
    814.9 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom