Silkies ladder and sandbox laying

Mummak

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2021
Kent, UK
Hello Everyone,
Based in UK here always read your posts as new chicken mumma to 3 silkies.( as off a month ago)

only one is laying so far, but she lays in theyre sandbox!! How can i fix this!!?!

major problem is that they had a egu coop before, no problems went in by them selves at dusk and she was laying in the right place.
Now ive upgraded to a wooden coop off the ground with a ladder walk. They will come down the ladder in the morning... but wont go up it at night!
i always find them huddled in the corner under the coop every night.
Ive tried the light in a coop ( but maybe i need a stronger one?) ... ive tried picking them up and putting them on the bottom of the ladder ( they will walk up it) but no joy still find them under the coop everynight.
They dont roost, which i know isnt uncommon for silkies, but they do have the option to in the coop. They lay in the nesting boxes and sleep.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou

Can i pick your chicken knowledge on coop! Im a bit concerned that my vent ( theres only one) isnt expelling the dust etc properly. Its a pretty big coop for 3 silkies and never smells of ammonia in the morning, always smells fresh.
i poo pick daily. Use poultry shield on the wood and DE in there mixed in to the snowflake sawdust n straw.

im sorry to ask many questions, but ive no one to ask and so this website is like a little chicken bible
What exactly is this....the active ingredient(s)?

Agrees, those tiny coops have little ventilation.

Based in UK
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there(and we don't forget)!
1623061833873.png

C06E7890-616E-4F96-8641-252983601A2C.jpeg

Attachments

• EAA1A4E9-5D9D-46C4-BA60-88DAB072E72A.jpeg
    EAA1A4E9-5D9D-46C4-BA60-88DAB072E72A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • ADB335E8-2D2A-46D9-B3B1-F301ED8DD132.png
    ADB335E8-2D2A-46D9-B3B1-F301ED8DD132.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Lol 3 birds huddled under the coop... with a bright lit up coop above them.
had to hand put them in... for the 20th time.

earlier i put treats up the ladder.... 2 went up, ate all the treats.... came back down

could it be ( and it may sound silly) , they dont like the coop? Its quite big for 3 silkies!

Back
Top Bottom