Silkies Of A Different Color

I hatched my first mixed color batch of silkies and spent several weeks wondering what colors they would come out. I spent a lot of time on BYC looking at other pictures of babies and how they ended up. I know I have some more growing to go and I don't have a final answer on some but they are now 9 weeks old and full of surprises for me. I'm showing them at one day old and again at 8 weeks old so maybe someone else can get an idea of where their odd colored chicks might end up.

#1 one was taupe gray chick with partridge marking. He's now a gray with black moorcap and very small amount of gray penciling on wings. #2 was an almost white undercoat with a little taupeish buff shading when born. He's now maybe a red paint(?) with red splotches all over white background with a llittle very distinct cuckoo red bars just starting to come in on wings saddle and hackles. #3 was pure white and is now developing black paint markings- more every day. #4 is a show girl born a funny taupe tan color with a darker taupe shading down her back -shes now a very light splotchy gray with back and white on wings (somebody called her frost but thats a new term to me). #5 was a very light partridge baby complete with chipmunks stripes on back- hes now white undercoat- dandelion yellow shading on body and blue shading on head . Very light like a porcelain but not really lavender shading?. #6 was born a light blue but is a darker blue now - in contrast to #7 my very bald showgirl- I was 100% positive she was black when born but now shes an even dark blue. #8 was born off- whitish with a what I wondered if might be a lavender cast - now at 8 weeks its more of a soft champagne taupe shading. I don't know if this helps anyone trying to figure out crazy newborn colors but it was interesting to me.
Thank you for putting this together! Always super interesting to see how they look like when they're chicks vs. when they get older!
All are so ridiculously cute but I have to admit that #7 has my heart
love.gif
She's just so stinking cute and unique looking! She looks a little funny but that just makes her all the more endearing and so adorable!!

Thank you , Exotica. I've got much prettier babies in this hatch, including the other showgirl, but this little one is my favorite too. Maybe because she's so people friendly. My friend says she looks like something out of Dr Suess. My daughter named her Imogene. She's the runt of this batch but she is not bottom of the pecking order. Imogene just jumps right in there and shoves the chicks twice her size out of the way. Its a little early to tell but I'm really hoping she is a girl. Somebody had a post a long time back about rounder eggs being female. There was a lot of debate about it and it probably won't work but I'm curious to see if it works in her case. She was from a tiny egg- 2/3 the size of the rest and so round I had to double check to see it was resting wide side up. The woman I got the eggs from had two showgirl hens and they were both very elegant and fluffy so maybe she'll grow into herself.

Thank you , Exotica. I've got much prettier babies in this hatch, including the other showgirl, but this little one is my favorite too. Maybe because she's so people friendly. My friend says she looks like something out of Dr Suess. My daughter named her Imogene. She's the runt of this batch but she is not bottom of the pecking order. Imogene just jumps right in there and shoves the chicks twice her size out of the way. Its a little early to tell but I'm really hoping she is a girl. Somebody had a post a long time back about rounder eggs being female. There was a lot of debate about it and it probably won't work but I'm curious to see if it works in her case. She was from a tiny egg- 2/3 the size of the rest and so round I had to double check to see it was resting wide side up. The woman I got the eggs from had two showgirl hens and they were both very elegant and fluffy so maybe she'll grow into herself.

Crossing my fingers that she is a girl for you too!
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

Aww! Her bottom half is so fluffy too!!

I'm not sure if you have kids or younger siblings/nieces that watch Disney channel but have you heard of Phineas and Ferb?
My little sister watches that show and for some reason it reminds me of your little girl!

Particularly this picture, since she is black:

lau.gif
lau.gif

Crossing my fingers that she is a girl for you too! :fl :thumbsup Aww! Her bottom half is so fluffy too!! I'm not sure if you have kids or younger siblings/nieces that watch Disney channel but have you heard of Phineas and Ferb? My little sister watches that show and for some reason it reminds me of your little girl! Particularly this picture, since she is black: :lau :lau
I read this and spit my coffee all over the place laughing!

I'm new to Silkies and wondering about the different combinations of vaulted/non-vaulted, crest, beard, muffed etc. I got quite a variety with my hatch and was curious if the different combinations meant that they were disqualified for SQ, or maybe even mixed? Any comments are welcomed! Thank you!
Slimy Bob

Booger

Pretty Girl

Nugget

P-Dawg

My son used to watch Phineas and Ferb when he was younger. I didn't think of it until you mentioned it, but I see the resemblance. Very funny!
Haha! Particularly her baby picture! They are all so adorable though!! Do you have more silkies than that?

I read this and spit my coffee all over the place laughing!
Hahaha!
gig.gif
Glad I could give you a laugh! So I'm not crazy and you guys do see the resemblance!
celebrate.gif

I'm new to Silkies and wondering about the different combinations of vaulted/non-vaulted, crest, beard, muffed etc. I got quite a variety with my hatch and was curious if the different combinations meant that they were disqualified for SQ, or maybe even mixed? Any comments are welcomed! Thank you!
Slimy Bob

Booger

Pretty Girl

Nugget

P-Dawg
Forgot to add to my last post but such cute little chicks!! Congrats on the hatch!
woot.gif

Forgot to add to my last post but such cute little chicks!! Congrats on the hatch! :woot

Thank you! They're great little chickens! We had a singleton Serama hatch a few days after the Silkies and because they look like Titans next to him, we were nervous to put him in there with them, but they were absolute sweethearts and even seem to take care of him. Silkies are so awesome! We've had a few different breeds, all considered friendly, docile breeds, and they have been for the most part. But taming them takes a lot of time, patience and treats, and even then, it seems like they're friendliest after they start laying. But all of the Silkies are completely unafraid of us. They hop right into your hands, follow you everywhere, cuddle and play... They're not as "spooked" by everything as other breeds at such a young age, which is great for people having semi-house chickens like us, but I can see where their laid-back demeanor could be trouble for predators or a mixed flock. Anyway, I just wanted to share my first experience of Silkies with other Silkie fans who can appreciate my new found enthusiasm for this goofy wonderful breed. I'll be posting lots of pictures and updates as my little flock grows. :)

Slimy Bob

Booger

Pretty Girl

Nugget

P-Dawg
Hahahahahaha!!!!! I love how you named that one booger... I have 30 silkies and it is impossible to tell if they where going to have a beard or not

Back
Top Bottom