Silkies on the way.. I hope!

simplyseren

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
NWPA
I have a silkie who was sitting on about 6 eggs,.. a few days later I looked and she was on 8 eggs.. a few days later my other silkie was sitting with her and now combined they are sitting on 12 eggs as of yesterday. this is not their fist time hatching. but im hoping it will be a first successful hatching for me.. My question is this: I have 3 RIR in the coop as well, when the baby silkies hatch should I leave them in the coop with the broody mammas or bring them in the house? I dont want the RIR to get them (not very nice girls at times) what is ya'lls advice?

Hello, congratulations on the new baby's, (hopefully:fl :D)
I think that they should be alright in the coop. We currently have a silkie with two chicks in a flock of about 12 chickens. They all get on fine. Some of our hens are really aggressive, yet they still leave the chicks alone. Also, most silkies are very protective mothers and won't let others bully her baby's, especially if there's two mums to be! But then again, we have a rooster who is really protective of any chicks and he looks after them really well too. I am sure whatever you decide will be great! Best of luck! :D
:D:D

Back
Top Bottom