Hatching silkie with broody hen

Shely514

Chirping
May 19, 2022
I have 5 silkie eggs under two Cochin mixes. Today is day 24. Nothing seems to be happening. We started with 9 and 4 exploded/broke. They are both so dedicated but have been sitting broody for 30+ days now. Do I take the eggs and assume they aren’t good? Just seems like a long time for silkies to hatch from what I’ve read.

I have 5 silkie eggs under two Cochin mixes. Today is day 24. Nothing seems to be happening. We started with 9 and 4 exploded/broke. They are both so dedicated but have been sitting broody for 30+ days now. Do I take the eggs and assume they aren’t good? Just seems like a long time for silkies to hatch from what I’ve read.
The eggs are most likely bad and not going to hatch.

Do I just toss the eggs and put them out of the nest? I feel bad for them sitting and no babies👎 I can’t even find anyone with chicks to give them
Sadly yes, I would throw them out. If you could get some chicks it would be good otherwise just let them get the broody out of them and maybe they will hatch off the next batch

I recommend candling before you throw them out. I've saved a chick or two by doing that.
It's unlikely they will hatch though 😞

I recommend candling before you throw them out. I've saved a chick or two by doing that.
It's unlikely they will hatch though 😞
I thought you weren’t suppose to candle them after 17 days… I guess if they aren’t going to hatch it won’t matter.

Back
Top Bottom