Babies expected Nov. 1. Im nervous!

TheRusticRebel

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
This is my first time hatching! I have a broody sitting on 5 eggs. Its coming up on 21 days soon. She is in her own little coop and run ( within the main run and attached to the big coop). How long do i keep her and the babies separated from the rest of the flock. Any thing i need to know? Ive raised chicks ( this broody is one) but im super nervous about this pending hatch.

Dont be worried! my second bacth of eggs were hatched under one of my broody silkie hens. I was worried my first time with a broody hen. Just check on them periodcally to make sure everything is alright also Keep the water and food close to the hen so she dosent have to move her chicks that much when they just start hatching. I had one mama hen get up with her other chicks and leave a few behind but I was lucky enough to get to them before they froze, the only reason she left was to get food and water because it was to far away.

Dont be worried! my second bacth of eggs were hatched under one of my broody silkie hens. I was worried my first time with a broody hen. Just check on them periodcally to make sure everything is alright also Keep the water and food close to the hen so she dosent have to move her chicks that much when they just start hatching. I had one mama hen get up with her other chicks and leave a few behind but I was lucky enough to get to them before they froze, the only reason she left was to get food and water because it was to far away.
So for the first few days i should keep the food and water in the coop with her? Should i keep the door shut?

This is my first time hatching! I have a broody sitting on 5 eggs. Its coming up on 21 days soon. She is in her own little coop and run ( within the main run and attached to the big coop). How long do i keep her and the babies separated from the rest of the flock. Any thing i need to know? Ive raised chicks ( this broody is one) but im super nervous about this pending hatch.
As long as you have food and water available for them, you don’t need to do anything. Mama will take care of it. Be sure the food is appropriate for chicks, ie not for layers. I’m fact your whole flock can go on chick feed with oyster shell on the side for the ladies. The sooner you let mama and the babies in with the rest of the flock the better. Mama will protect them if necessary, and they’ll begin integration at a young age which teaches them the flock rules. Good luck, being nervous normal :) but chickens have been hatching eggs on their own for a long time.

As long as you have food and water available for them, you don’t need to do anything. Mama will take care of it. Be sure the food is appropriate for chicks, ie not for layers. I’m fact your whole flock can go on chick feed with oyster shell on the side for the ladies. The sooner you let mama and the babies in with the rest of the flock the better. Mama will protect them if necessary, and they’ll begin integration at a young age which teaches them the flock rules. Good luck, being nervous normal :) but chickens have been hatching eggs on their own for a long time.
The liytle coop shes in now is maybe 3ft x 3ft and i filled it with straw. Then the food and water is outside.

I could put something in the coop to elevate food and water containers. I could use the ones i use for brooding chicks. Do you think the chicks will be ok in the straw? Or should i change the bedding to pine shavings before they get here?

Also the little coop is elevated about 8 inch off the ground i do have the bottom all blocked off with brick. There is a ramp . im worried a chick will wander out and not be able to get back in. But i also dont want to keep mama all cooped up either.

One more ? If i open up the run so mama can come out with her chicks in a few days will she take them back into the littlw coop or do you think she will try to take them into the big coop?

Some broodies are quick to want to join the flock while others will remain in their own space if they have an option. My broodies are in the main coop which has a ramp. Some do not take the chicks down a ramp until they are severel weeks old, but showing the chicks what to do can have them going up and down within the first week.

The liytle coop shes in now is maybe 3ft x 3ft and i filled it with straw. Then the food and water is outside.

I could put something in the coop to elevate food and water containers. I could use the ones i use for brooding chicks. Do you think the chicks will be ok in the straw? Or should i change the bedding to pine shavings before they get here?

Also the little coop is elevated about 8 inch off the ground i do have the bottom all blocked off with brick. There is a ramp . im worried a chick will wander out and not be able to get back in. But i also dont want to keep mama all cooped up either.

One more ? If i open up the run so mama can come out with her chicks in a few days will she take them back into the littlw coop or do you think she will try to take them into the big coop?
They’ll do fine in the straw but I suggest a little straw under wherever they’re going to exit. Mom might want to rejoin the flock sooner rather than later as @Yardmom mentions, so I would have a plan for that too because the tinies likely won’t be able to get back in where they will be hatched with an 8” drop.

Are both coops elevated? Some chicks don’t like the ramps when they’re really little, I’ve had a few like that. So if that’s the case, have a plan for where she can sleep with them at night that’s on the floor/

Where mom takes them will really depend. I had some that returned to the big coop as soon as the littles could get in there, mine has about an 8” lip so I would estimate about a week for them to have the strength to jump that high. Others were content to keep their babies in the small coop where they hatched for quite a while, but they were still out and about teaching those kids as soon as possible. Plan for both is the best advice lol.

Yes, keep the food and water with her
Okay I'll do that today I'm making final preparations getting the food and water situated inside the little Coop blocking up under the ramp so the chicks don't go under there and not know how to get back out Andre reinforcing the bottom of the fence so the chicks can't get out through the chicken wire

Back
Top Bottom