Silkies plus others?

CB Poulet

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
Berkeley, CA
I've never had Silkies or bantams of any kind -- I'm used to the big, heavy Reds, Rocks, etc. But now I'm starting a new, small urban-backyard flock, and wondering whether Silkies or bantams can happily share space with larger birds, like Easter Eggers or similar moderate-large hens. Does all that feather fuzz of Silkies cause grooming issues?
Thanks for help.

I've never had Silkies or bantams of any kind -- I'm used to the big, heavy Reds, Rocks, etc. But now I'm starting a new, small urban-backyard flock, and wondering whether Silkies or bantams can happily share space with larger birds, like Easter Eggers or similar moderate-large hens. Does all that feather fuzz of Silkies cause grooming issues?
Thanks for help.
Silkies often prefer to form a group pile for sleeping rather than roosting. So, if their pile is under the roost, there can be grooming issues.
gig.gif

Also, foot feathers tend to get muddier/dirtier than clean legged birds. ther than that, I haven't had any problems. My silkies tend to take top bird positions over the large fowl.

I agree about silkies liking to pile up. Our hen decided that she liked to sleep under the roost while the other girls were on it. That was a bit of a mess until I moved things around so she had a different spot to sleep in. We have 2 ameraucana's, 2 Rhode Island Reds, and a Bantam Cochin and they all get along great. Our Silkie and one of the Ameraucana's are both laying together.

Thank you all, this is helpful. This mix of breeds and sizes, did you start with all of them at the same time, or introduce them into existing groups? It sounds like size, alone, though, and funny feathers, won't cause social problems. I just may give it a try!

Agree. You can do fine mixing the bantums and the large fowl but if you go with silkies get more than one so they can sleep together. Keep in mind that they can not fly at all and can't really jump so they will not be able to reach anything over their heads usually.

I have 2 eggs hatching this weekend of my LF flock and will be putting 2-4 silkie chicks under my broody Monday. Gonna let the broody raise all of them, but will have the brooder on stand-by.

Back
Top Bottom