Silkies "Silver Gene" in white

I believe the grey down is more desirable. The adult feathering will be a crisper, brighter white.

-Cindy

Here is a pic of my original white Roo ( A bit necky) but at least he has four featherd toes

38168_dsc05938.jpg

In the pic he is still a cockral ( please forgive the spelling)

Last edited:
i thought you meant they were almost a splash color in the markings or something that looks normal i did alot of silkie research when i thought i wanted them a few months back and ya i would like to have him where are you???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alabama.... NO SILKIES! We are talking EEs Right? My EE Roo feathering on the legs is minimal but he is yours.... I can make him again if I like. You need Pics before we decide!!!!!!!!!!!!! But my Silkies are not for sale! EEs I would give away! 2 years from now I could make you some Silkies that layed like EES! Don't plan on Perfection colors but EE silkies are doable!!

Last edited:
Chances are those babies with the gray color are boys. Every white chick I've hatched with that much gray was a cockeral.

There are some different thoughts on the color you're seeing, one is that's a double silver gene roo and the silver is expressing itself. The newest one is that it might be the lavender gene.

Hang on to that boy, put him with a black girl and see what color you get. You might be seeing the lavender gene.

Quote:
Dena You know us!!!!! Come a few blocks from your house and see in person!!!!!!!! You would love the geese you put us on!!!They are Great!! I can show you the roo too...I can stop by anytime in the afternoo if you and hubby would like to follow!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Funny you said Lavender! Long story short again but I also have two Black roos with lavender.... I also have chick pics from a black hen and one of these roos!! that will be my next post after I figure this one out!!! Like my signature says I am new to chickens....I am not new to genetics.... I have seven differnt colors of ring neck dove from one pair... but that is another long story short. It saddens me so few visit the dove section here.!.!.! I took pics of my doves just yeserday in hopes someone would like to see them or I could help someone. Would you like a dove or two!? Sorry moderator
sad.png

Paul

Last edited:
Hang on to that boy, put him with a black girl and see what color you get. You might be seeing the lavender gene.

I'd be exceedingly surprised if it has anything to do with lavender.​

Quote:
I'd be exceedingly surprised if it has anything to do with lavender.

I would be surprised too! if it were from the so so so so few lavevdar silkie pics we all see ( chics especialy!!....its like lavendar and porcelain are the silkie "stealth fighter" of chickens!!!!!!!!!!! Show us all a lavendar chic or a prcelain one!!!! I can show you a prcelain if you show me lavendar lavendar Silkie 2 months of age.

Paul

Last edited:
Quote:
After raising many doves I believe you are on to something with the doubling... not exactly geneticaly correct but neither is my spelling. In doves it takes a double douse of tangerine to make a tangerine pearl. I Am afraid that same scenario is at work with my chics that is why I posting.... also with your sex linking!!! ....Cudos to you!!!! You are GREAT!

My Favorite dove colors are wild/pied and Ash.....Wild/pied is kind of like a splash silkie. Ash is kind of like a lavedar silkie. If I put a lavendar silkie next to my ash dove you could see what I mean. I still miss my white ringncks
sad.png
I only have one now

Paul

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd be exceedingly surprised if it has anything to do with lavender.

I would be too. Except the idea that it might be the lavender gene did not come from me. It came from someone that has raised Silkies for a very long time and knows genetics better than just about anyone I've come across.

Back
Top Bottom