Silkies stopped laying, will they start again soon?

Poliwag

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Australia
PIC_0027.jpg

From left to right, Princess, Precious, Ducky and umm Poly... the rooster >.>;

PIC_0030.jpg

Jess.

Precious and Jess were the only ones laying but now Jess is broody and sitting on some eggs and Precious was broody but stopped and hasn't layed an egg since. Jess, Precious and Ducky are 35 weeks old (238 days). Poly and Princess are about 5 months old. Ducky still hasn't layed an egg yet, though, I don't know why.

Currently it is summer here and the days have been quite hot. The temperature has reached 41 Degrees C. or 105.8 degrees F.
Is the heat stopping Precious from laying? And will Ducky ever get to the stage of laying? Can chooks not lay an egg in their whole lifetime? :hmm

Oh and will a chook not lay an egg if there isn't a nesting box available? (there is barely enough room for Jess in the nesting box, let alone another chook who is actually much bigger than Jess)

Silkies are not the best at egg production.

The heat has probably slowed them waaaayyyyyy down. As soon as it cools off again, I would think that they would start laying again.

Quote:
Umm, it's currently Summer and they had only started laying recently. And I live in Australia o.o

Also, the coop is way down the back in our yard and there are no power points in there
tongue.png

The pen wasn't meant for a chook pen but we made it into one. It was some kind of bird house or something.
I am not completely sure what it was.

Back
Top Bottom