Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I have to admire silkies if for only one thing (not to mention how beautiful they are). That little fuzzikin just couldn't find his place on the roost with mom and his 4 sibs. Try as he might, he couldn't get close enough to mom and kept falling off the roost. Last night I didn't even see him, until................... I walked around to the other side of the pen.. Up popped his head from beneath the pile of Silkies. He had crawled up under Top Gun's wing in the fuzz pile and was happy as a lark. I had taken the divider down between the two sides and let mom and her 'room mates' get aquainted last week. Mom and kids did really well with the 4 Silkie pullets and the man of the house. What impresses me is the way silkies will care for the young, even when not theirs.

In my other pen, Poof Poof has gone back to roosting on the 'roof' with Shadow Captain and the F1 pullets. Her two daughters from the second hatch still nest in the bucket with the last hatch, keeping everyone snug as a bug and warm. Their parenting instincts are beyond belief at times.

I lost my beautiful buff hen Penny Tuesday to either a hawk or owl attack. It all happened so fast I can't even believe she's gone.😥 She will be missed. ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_135609.jpg
    IMG_20211216_135609.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220716_130905.jpg
    20220716_130905.jpg
    883.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221129_164321.jpg
    20221129_164321.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 2
I lost my beautiful buff hen Penny Tuesday to either a hawk or owl attack. It all happened so fast I can't even believe she's gone.😥 She will be missed. ❤️
So sorry you lost your hen. I lost 7 bantams and one EE to hawks last month. I friend has lost every single one of his silkies to hawks, and they weren't even free ranging! Hawks are bad this year it seems.

So sorry you lost your hen. I lost 7 bantams and one EE to hawks last month. I friend has lost every single one of his silkies to hawks, and they weren't even free ranging! Hawks are bad this year it seems.
I've noticed more flying in general near my house. I swear they are staring at my coop!

Oh no, I’m so sorry!!!
sorry for your losses. that reminds me I need to buy netting before I put any chickens in my new place. still waiting for the notary call to sign the contract.
So sorry, she was such a pretty girl too. Hang in there :hugs
Thank you all ❤️

Back
Top Bottom