Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
@CSolis & @Hinotori very nice lookin babies yall! Congratulations!
Thank you @Gammas Bearded Babies ! I'm working hard to get my own line of colorful birds going. Remember I started a little more than a year ago with General Lee, that was given to me. Amanda has worked hard to get me into silkies, and I'm working hard to get colorful ones. Hopefully I'm Blue Too will be ready this year to give me some poofier babies from Lil Running Bear with more blue than he has.. If so, I might consider bringing you one.. maybe!
The Remaining Golden Girls are now with King Arthur (Black with gold trim) since I sold their previous mate and one of the girls.. Shazzam, I have a few of their eggs by him in the incubator to see what they do.
Then there's Lancelot and his wives (all partridge girls) and Lil Boy Blue and his wives.. all producing different colors and patterns.

Double jinxed myself. Spraddle legged chick in this hatch too. It's in hobbles. Should be find soon enough.

The lighter chick is mostly probably from a blue cream hen. The rooster in there is partridge. So chick should be halfway to partridge and split for lavender. All of the partridge chicks are split for lavender.

Im trying to replace some of my ageing hens. Next year I'll get ones with 2 copies of lavender. I'll keep one cockerel from this hatch.

View attachment 3447250
View attachment 3447248View attachment 3447249
Can you 'splain to me in layman's terms what 'split for lavender' is? I'm not quite catching the concept. TY in advance.

Can you 'splain to me in layman's terms what 'split for lavender' is? I'm not quite catching the concept. TY in advance.

It's the term used for having 1 copy of the recessive gene. So if I breed two of the splits together, the chicks have a 25% chance to have 2 copies and the gene showing.

Okay, that's understandable.. And the lavender or 'self blue' comes from 2 blue silkies?

No. Blue is a different gene from lavender.

Blue is semi-dominant so you get blue with one copy and the splash with two.

Don't breed the two colors together as it confuses people. Even though blue (darker grey) looks different from the self blue (pale grey).

IMAG0928-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom