Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
This lil roo was hatched on or about Oct 5th by mom. I choose him from 6 siblings to start his own flock. That makes him 5 months old and he's not showing any signs of growing 'horns' as of yet. The satin gal ran him into the corner.. she's since been moved to an older 'guy' who has experience with hens. Can anyone say for 'sure' my guess as to sex is correct.View attachment 3770530View attachment 3770531View attachment 3770532View attachment 3770529
I know she's a she since she's been egg laying a while.

Looks very much like a boy to me. Comb size and the crest itself says boy to me. Shape and does look like a few streamers off the back

One of my Roos is missing feathers on his crest and there appears to be blood (looks like it’s from pin feathers, not pecking). This wasn’t present last night when he went in for bed, so not sure when it happened today.

I have him in a coop with another younger roo (who was raised by him) and 5 hens (incubating to add more as we speak). They’ve never fought and I didn’t actually see what injured the older roo. I’ve sprayed stop pick spray on the area now.

Other than keeping an eye on them and continuing with the spray, anything else I should be doing? I’ve never had any of my silkies get injured so I want to make sure I’m doing the right things for him. View attachment 3770220View attachment 3770221

I always give antibiotics (oxytetracycline or doxycycline) to the injured birds (for 3 days).

I used my roo fly by night (throws blue gene eggs we found out) with my paint silky sprinkles(white egg). Which got me a guy named Galaxy who is then would be 50% silky feathered but obviously was flat he was white with splash paint spots . I’ve posted pics of him when he was a baby I’ll get some on here again. I then took him and bread him with my satin silky kiwi she’s 3 and lays a white egg. And Walla got strawberry ! She is smaller than kiwi she’s satin feathered but looks like her twin. The other three are boys! One is paint which is crazy or splash the other boys are white with a but of red leakage (which looks yellow) I’ll show u guys pics of them today. So anyways I’d like to go back silky feathered with them n see what we get we can use them to try to do it again this year. I hatched out 5 my big mistake selling the other girl! And she got eaten! Uhggggg at that point I didn’t know if she could lay blue eggs n now I’ll never know….we also don’t have Galaxy anymore too many roosters ! but I’ll use his off spring instead. (Strawberry’s brothers)
Here is a new picture of galaxy’s son who is strawberry’s (silky satin blue egg) brother. Imma use him to bread to silky feathered to see what happens and also if I can continue to get blue eggs !

Attachments

• IMG_4836.jpeg
    IMG_4836.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4833.jpeg
    IMG_4833.jpeg
    770.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Candled my silkie eggs today at day 7. This is my first attempt at hatching my own instead of shipped eggs.

7 duds (which I expected for my mixed coop)

The rest were from my paint coop:
1 quit (very clear blood ring)
10 appear to be on their way to quitting (will candle again in a couple days to confirm)
2 still viable (movement and can see eye)

Since I’ve successfully hatched shipped eggs in this incubator with the same settings, I assume this poor rate is likely caused by my eggs/chickens. Any advice on bettering my rate next time?

Back
Top Bottom