Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Candled my silkie eggs today at day 7. This is my first attempt at hatching my own instead of shipped eggs.

7 duds (which I expected for my mixed coop)

The rest were from my paint coop:
1 quit (very clear blood ring)
10 appear to be on their way to quitting (will candle again in a couple days to confirm)
2 still viable (movement and can see eye)

Since I’ve successfully hatched shipped eggs in this incubator with the same settings, I assume this poor rate is likely caused by my eggs/chickens. Any advice on bettering my rate next time?
Start tossing them some kitty kibbles to up their protein. Gals coming off winter months need and eggstra boost. Maybe some greens too.

Start tossing them some kitty kibbles to up their protein. Gals coming off winter months need and eggstra boost. Maybe some greens too.
Thank you! Good call. Especially since my tractors aren’t built yet so I can’t give them fresh grass daily.

They get meal worms but in the spring and summer I usually spoil them with greens and fruit too. And tuna. And pumpkin. They’re very spoiled once the snow melts haha.

I will give them gamebird feed mixed half and half with the all flock. Sometimes I'll get calf manna instead to offer with the regular feed.

Silkies do best on at least 20% protein anyway
One thing about kitty kibbles is it's loaded with vitamins and minerals too, plus animal fats. My kids fight over them, meanwhile Pookie Boo loves chicken food. He's always with me and sneaks food when I have my back turned.
20240128_095600.jpg

I absolutely love this silkie thread, does anyone know if there’s a Cochin appreciation thread similar to this one?

Photos for tax🩷
Ft. Gretchen and some of her silkie babies she’s raising indoors for me

On a side note, does the partridge baby look like a standard partridge or silver?

Attachments

• IMG_3707.jpeg
    IMG_3707.jpeg
    755.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3777.jpeg
    IMG_3777.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3779.jpeg
    IMG_3779.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 2
I absolutely love this silkie thread, does anyone know if there’s a Cochin appreciation thread similar to this one?

Photos for tax🩷

On a side note, does the partridge baby look like a standard partridge or silver?

Better lighting and a look at it's back and side would help tell. Might have to wait for the juvenile feathers to tell though

Photos for tax🩷

Love the thread n pics of your babies too! They are beautiful ! Keep updating in here as they grow out

Back
Top Bottom