Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Quick question . i saw it mentioned early in the thread that silkies are not heat tolerant. Would it be torture for them to live in southeast US if they had ample shade.

Ample shade and plenty of cool fresh water during the hottest hours of the day has worked for my flock in southeast TN. I haven't lost any to heat although you can tell they are uncomfortable during the hottest hours (when I had other breeds even ones considered heat tolerant they always looked uncomfortable as well). I've heard of some breeders using misters to help keep them cool. I'm definitely considering setting up a misting system in the next year or so when we move and build a new coop/run.

As long as they know where the shade is and utilize it I would think you would be alright. My silkies aren't always the brightest but once they figure something out they stick to it pretty well (took a lot of them a long time to figure out how to get out of the rain, that's actually been more of an issue for me). I'm really looking forward to having covered runs because of this. Trimming crests so they can see well can help, although you still may get some that are just not that bright.

Just under 7 weeks. I can't tell on sex yet. This is one of those cases where I'm actually hoping for a boy.

20200802_201101.jpg

Quick question . i saw it mentioned early in the thread that silkies are not heat tolerant. Would it be torture for them to live in southeast US if they had ample shade.
I live in Idaho. We have both got summers and cold winters. My silkies do great in both! This week is currently around 100 degrees. Just about all my chickens are showing signs of hotness, not just the silkies. The worst is the Orpingtons, poor girls. So yes, I think sillies would do fine in your area.

Just under 7 weeks. I can't tell on sex yet. This is one of those cases where I'm actually hoping for a boy.

View attachment 2274232
Could we get some close-up of the comb?

I live in Idaho. We have both got summers and cold winters. My silkies do great in both! This week is currently around 100 degrees. Just about all my chickens are showing signs of hotness, not just the silkies. The worst is the Orpingtons, poor girls. So yes, I think sillies would do fine in your area.

Could we get some close-up of the comb?

I'll go net the critter later today. The comb could go either way. I've had pullets that looked like this before. I figure I should know if a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom