Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
No I’m not. Only allowed hens. Any boys will have to find new homes. If I wasn’t in the city limits I’d be fine, but I don’t want to make any neighbors mad.
You can still keep them up until more male traits show before rehoming.

Here are a few pictures I took this morning. Don’t have pics of the others separate, just some group shots. Any thoughts are appreciated.

It looks like it'll probably be a while longer before the streamers become obvious in the males.

I'd say from what I can see out of them all the little black looks the most like a male based on comb size/width. At this point it's still just a guess though.

Your little splash has a kind of girly crest. I can't see the comb in the picture, is it pretty small/narrow? Some of the feathers coming in on the crest could be the beginning of streamers or they could just be some new crest feathers growing in. It's pretty common to get the two mixed up which is why I don't judge until the streamers have really become obvious.

It looks like it'll probably be a while longer before the streamers become obvious in the males.

I'd say from what I can see out of them all the little black looks the most like a male based on comb size/width. At this point it's still just a guess though.

Your little splash has a kind of girly crest. I can't see the comb in the picture, is it pretty small/narrow? Some of the feathers coming in on the crest could be the beginning of streamers or they could just be some new crest feathers growing in. It's pretty common to get the two mixed up which is why I don't judge until the streamers have really become obvious.
It’s hard to see the crest, I’ll have to see if it will cooperate for me to get a closer look. If the black is a boy I won’t be as sad since I already have a black silkie girl that I just adore. Don’t get me wrong I’m sad to have to give up any chicken, but that one would hurt the least.

Back
Top Bottom