Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
The Fab Four are outdoors full-time now, currently living in the tractor next to the coop. Let them free range a bit with the big chickens today and they sort of kept to themselves over in the corner, wisely as some of the grown-ups are quite mean to youngsters. Akira/Wanda is feathering in so beautifully at 8 weeks of age, I think she’s going to be a gorgeous chicken. Imari is starting to feather in a little better and doesn’t look quite so scruffy as he did before. On the small baby front the little Partridge that my daughter has named Amai, which means sweet in Japanese, really is a little sweetheart. I’m betting she’s a pullet, I’ll know for sure when the DNA test results come back. Photo attached of her letting one of the small babies snuggle up under her. This evening when I went to check on them none of them were under the heat plate, all were in the opposite corner where Amai had her wings spread and all three small babies stuffed up under her. Natural mother I guess!
Tried to get a photo of this but the flash disturbed them and it didn’t come out very well. It was very endearing to see.🥰View attachment 2617410View attachment 2617411View attachment 2617412

Edited for spelling errors.
All so gorgeous!!
Little Amai is so sweet and so young to already have a mothering instinct! Wow she might be one of those hens that adopt chicks very very easily!! :love .. and may be constantly broody!!

On an upsetting note, today my sweet friendly favourite cockerel, Biscuit, pecked me so hard on my leg it bled and is bruised :( He's 5 months old so I'm thinking cockerel hormones? I gave him a light peck with my fingers and stood up, didn't give him any more treats. I won't do my usual daily sitting down hand feeding anymore.
Anyone else had their cockerel peck them and how do you deal with it and help make them more friendly?
My Rooster does a good job chasing him away so I'm hoping Rooster will teach his son some more manners and respect for humans. Biscuit is the first chicken to injure me and he was so friendly so it was a bit of a shock.

On an upsetting note, today my sweet friendly favourite cockerel, Biscuit, pecked me so hard on my leg it bled and is bruised :( He's 5 months old so I'm thinking cockerel hormones? I gave him a light peck with my fingers and stood up, didn't give him any more treats. I won't do my usual daily sitting down hand feeding anymore.
Anyone else had their cockerel peck them and how do you deal with it and help make them more friendly?
My Rooster does a good job chasing him away so I'm hoping Rooster will teach his son some more manners and respect for humans. Biscuit is the first chicken to injure me and he was so friendly so it was a bit of a shock.
Sorry you have to go through this. My cockerel Jane was doing that when he was about 5-6 months old. He had been a real sweetie too, one of the reasons I kept him over the more genetically appropriate blue cockerel I had. He would bite hard, but only if I tried to pick him up. I pecked him with my fingers on the back of the neck and actually pinned him down every time he did it. Took about 10 days or so, then he stopped biting. He is now slightly afraid of me, but is sweet when picked up and enjoys a scratch behind the neck. He no longer comes up to me though. Price you pay I guess. 😊

Sorry you have to go through this. My cockerel Jane was doing that when he was about 5-6 months old. He had been a real sweetie too, one of the reasons I kept him over the more genetically appropriate blue cockerel I had. He would bite hard, but only if I tried to pick him up. I pecked him with my fingers on the back of the neck and actually pinned him down every time he did it. Took about 10 days or so, then he stopped biting. He is now slightly afraid of me, but is sweet when picked up and enjoys a scratch behind the neck. He no longer comes up to me though. Price you pay I guess. 😊
Thanks for your reply, I'll keep going with the pecking with my fingers if he does it again. ..Today though Rooster did not allow Biscuit near me while I was giving out treats, he just chased him away, so I didn't have a pecking problem. And Biscuit just stayed away from me.. it's like they had a father - son talk :lol: haha.. Different flock dynamics with multiple boys I guess, the older one teaches the younger so I'm hoping Biscuit will be a fast learner and not try pecking me again :fl ..but I guess Biscuit will not be following me around and allowing petting and being the friendly boy as he once was.. as you said The price you pay.

Hello all! I'm contemplating getting some Silkies and wanted to know: just how susceptible really are they to Marek's and other diseases? I don't want to end up having to stop keeping chickens if one of the Silkies infects the entire flock or something - and figured that this was a good place to ask! Any help is appreciated!

Good morning @My Pretty Pekins!
Yes, silkies are more susceptible to Marek's disease. In my research I could not find information on why though. I vaccinate all my birds for it, including chicks I sell, and only introduce birds into my flock that have been vaccinated. I know this is controversial, but I choose to do so.
My silkies have not had any health problems, though I have only kept them for a year. They do need a little more "pampering" then the other breeds I have. They get regular nail trims and occasional beak filings. Mine are kept in a large covered run, with daily outings. If they were free ranging, I guess they would wear their nails and beak down naturally. I believe they are hardy little birds with great personalities. If you already have pekins, then I think they would be a good fit.😊

Hello all! I'm contemplating getting some Silkies and wanted to know: just how susceptible really are they to Marek's and other diseases? I don't want to end up having to stop keeping chickens if one of the Silkies infects the entire flock or something - and figured that this was a good place to ask! Any help is appreciated!

I have also heard they are more susceptible to Marek's though I haven't run into any issues with Marek's myself. Some are more prone to certain health issues in my experience but they aren't contagious ones. The most common health problem I run into is wry neck as some silkies can be more prone to vitamin deficiencies or neurological issues. The ones who are vaulted are also more vulnerable to head injuries as their brains are not protected as well.

Wry neck isn't super common (out of a hatch of 68 last year only 4 had issues with it). If you raise enough silkies you're somewhat likely to run into it at some point though.

I never answered since I haven't found a good way to deal with aggression. At best mine kind of grow out of it. At worst they continue their aggressive behavior even after I've tried to work with them displaying dominance when they challenge me or get too close. I've had a few that learned to keep their distance after I held them down or chased them away when they would challenge me. I've tried the picking them up and carrying them around method too but if anything it seemed to embolden them rather than deterring them. 😩

I've heard growing up in a flock with adults that teach them manors can be a big help. Mine all grow up without adults so maybe that is one of the reasons I get so many bratty boys. Hopefully your Rooster will be a good teacher for little Biscuit (sounds like he is so far)! :)

Back
Top Bottom