Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any chicks or full grown silkies from Copperfields Silkies? I'm going to be ordering from them Monday or Tuesday and wanted to see some more chicks from them! Thanks so much!

Copperfields Silkies eggs were actually the first shipped silkie eggs I ever hatched. :D

At the time I was looking for paint eggs but couldn't find any so got the assortment from Copperfields hoping for some paints. I later learned how to get better at finding paint breeders pages on facebook.

Here are the babies I hatched. :)

Copperfield chicks.jpg

The light colored chicks from left to right are a buff, a splash, and a white. The little partridge looking chick hatched out of an egg marked SP same as the splash did but turned out more of a dark blue/black with very slight silver accents.

I don't have pictures of the buff or partridge looking one as adults (they were both males I didn't end up keeping) but I do have pictures of the splash and the white who were both girls. :)

reccessive white girl.jpg

I sold this white girl to a pet home as she had slight wry tail

splash no beard.jpg

Splash non bearded.jpg

I kept the little splash. She is non bearded for some reason though none of the other chicks that hatched were. Early on I used her a couple times to test breed to a paint male to make sure he was really black based (she had no health issues at the point I bred her). Later on I realized she is more prone to a few health issues (bumble foot, vent gleet, and even with free choice oyster shell she sometimes has thin shelled or shell-less eggs). She is now not used for breeding and is just a pet.

Copperfields Silkies eggs were actually the first shipped silkie eggs I ever hatched. :D

At the time I was looking for paint eggs but couldn't find any so got the assortment from Copperfields hoping for some paints. I later learned how to get better at finding paint breeders pages on facebook.

Here are the babies I hatched. :)

View attachment 2616330

The light colored chicks from left to right are a buff, a splash, and a white. The little partridge looking chick hatched out of an egg marked SP same as the splash did but turned out more of a dark blue/black with very slight silver accents.

I don't have pictures of the buff or partridge looking one as adults (they were both males I didn't end up keeping) but I do have pictures of the splash and the white who were both girls. :)

View attachment 2616355
I sold this white girl to a pet home as she had slight wry tail

View attachment 2616356
View attachment 2616357

I kept the little splash. She is non bearded for some reason though none of the other chicks that hatched were. Early on I used her a couple times to test breed to a paint male to make sure he was really black based (she had no health issues at the point I bred her). Later on I realized she is more prone to a few health issues (bumble foot, vent gleet, and even with free choice oyster shell she sometimes has thin shelled or shell-less eggs). She is now not used for breeding and is just a pet.
Oh they're so pretty! Thank you so much!

Today is hatch day (technically it started last night)! We've got two silkies already and one zipping. There are probably a few pips in the last five eggs that I can't see. I won't be keeping these guys (they already have a home) but I love watching them hatch!
Hi PioneerChicks I hope the little one zipping and the last five eggs all hatched well ❤️

Hi PioneerChicks I hope the little one zipping and the last five eggs all hatched well ❤️
The one zipping hatched! Now we have five total, and I'm not sure if the last three eggs will hatch. One of the chicks is yellow with some darker colors on her back, and is so stinking cute! Pics soon!

The Fab Four are outdoors full-time now, currently living in the tractor next to the coop. Let them free range a bit with the big chickens today and they sort of kept to themselves over in the corner, wisely as some of the grown-ups are quite mean to youngsters. Akira/Wanda is feathering in so beautifully at 8 weeks of age, I think she’s going to be a gorgeous chicken. Imari is starting to feather in a little better and doesn’t look quite so scruffy as he did before. On the small baby front the little Partridge that my daughter has named Amai, which means sweet in Japanese, really is a little sweetheart. I’m betting she’s a pullet, I’ll know for sure when the DNA test results come back. Photo attached of her letting one of the small babies snuggle up under her. This evening when I went to check on them none of them were under the heat plate, all were in the opposite corner where Amai had her wings spread and all three small babies stuffed up under her. Natural mother I guess!
Tried to get a photo of this but the flash disturbed them and it didn’t come out very well. It was very endearing to see.🥰
44A2F877-8948-4D79-893B-2D8CB5CC9E0F.jpeg
BA22AD26-2619-44E9-B483-103492FFDA89.jpeg
4D07BEAA-0431-4A1C-AE07-7A96823C143E.jpeg

Edited for spelling errors.

Last edited:
The Fab Four are outdoors full-time now, currently living in the tractor next to the coop. Let them free range a bit with the big chickens today and they sort of kept to themselves over in the corner, wisely as some of the grown-ups are quite mean to youngsters. Akira/Wanda is feathering in so beautifully at 8 weeks of age, I think she’s going to be a gorgeous chicken. Imari is starting to feather in a little better and doesn’t look quite so scruffy as he did before. On the small baby front the little Partridge that my daughter has named Amai, which means sweet in Japanese, really is a little sweetheart. I’m betting she’s a pullet, I’ll know for sure when the DNA test results come back. Photo attached of her letting one of the small babies snuggle up under her. This evening when I went to check on them none of them were under the heat plate, all were in the opposite corner where Amai had her wings spread and all three small babies stuffed up under her. Natural mother I guess!
Tried to get a photo of this but the flash disturbed them and it didn’t come out very well. It was very endearing to see.🥰View attachment 2617410View attachment 2617411View attachment 2617412

Edited for spelling errors.
Wow that's a big step for the Fab Four now being outside fulltime!
They are gorgeous :love
Akira/Wanda is such a cute cotton ball 😍 And Imari always changes/develops so much from picture to next picture - incredible!
Awww that little Partridge - so heartwarming! What a sweetheart 🥰

Back
Top Bottom