Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
3 of my pullets are 5 months, 2 weeks old now and it looks like at least 1 is laying! I had an egg under the roost this morning and that usually happens when they start laying and it was right under the spot where the pullets were. We're in Autumn here in Australia so daylight hours are getting shorter so I wasn't expecting them to start till daylight increases again. It will be interesting to see if they continue laying through Winter. I did have one hen last year that did!
How exciting - congrats on the first egg 🎉
...What a beauty 🥰

ForTheLoveOfSilkies how are sweet little Easter and her mommy Puff doing?
Very well thank you! Easter is only a few weeks old and scratches around with the flock as a member, close by mother Puff
IMG_20210425_112430~2.jpg
IMG_20210425_112345.jpg

We FINALLY finished up the new Silkie house today... They've been in it for over 2 weeks now but I didn't have the porch and attached run finished so they couldn't go outside. Before today they have only been outside ONCE for a brief 30 minutes or so. It took me FOREVER to figure out how to program the timer on the automatic chicken door. I was really aggravated enough to leave a negative review on Amazon. Anyway we are going out of town for an extended weekend over Mother's Day so I wanted to make sure it is working properly WELL in advance of our trip! We do still need to add some 2x4 framing at the bottom of the run but it should be good enough for them to go outside for now.

I'm going to try to get pictures of my babies tomorrow outside in the new run! ☺

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

So my little Sindbad yesterday got a rose-red comb. Not over night - over day. In the morning it still looked grey-green as always. In the evening I discovered a pinkish comb/comb area - - first second I thought he got somehow injured, but then I took a better look 😂 He is exactly three weeks old now.

Wow that is super quick for a comb to change! I guess he is a little ahead of the curve with both the crowing and the quick comb change! :lol:

Thank you so much for your kind words! I do appreciate it. ❤️
Yes, Hikari still has a bit of white on her face. Hard to see it though now.😊
Ended up losing 12 out of the 28 chicks that arrived. I’m sure it’s the extra day it took them to get to Hawaii. Last year it took a day less for chicks to get here. Anyway, all of the survivors have gone to their new homes except the one remaining cochin that I have. Her name is Hanabi which is Japanese for fireworks but directly translates to fire flower.
Since she was the only chick left I put her with Amai and Eko. The other two farm chicks have gone to new homes. I was a little concerned as Hanabi is so tiny compared to them. Amai took her under her wing, literally, and she fit right into her new little family. Amai really is an exceptional little pullet.🥰
View attachment 2633662View attachment 2633663View attachment 2633664

Aww I'm so sorry to hear about you losing 12 (and only one of your little cochins making it)! 😭:hugs

Little Amai really does sound like she is an extraordinary little girl, that is so sweet she is happy to mother little Hanabi! The three together look like such a cute little trio! 🥰

3 of my pullets are 5 months, 2 weeks old now and it looks like at least 1 is laying! I had an egg under the roost this morning and that usually happens when they start laying and it was right under the spot where the pullets were. We're in Autumn here in Australia so daylight hours are getting shorter so I wasn't expecting them to start till daylight increases again. It will be interesting to see if they continue laying through Winter. I did have one hen last year that did!

That little cutie sure is a pretty girl! :love

Congratulations on getting the first egg! :D

So my little Sindbad yesterday got a rose-red comb. Not over night - over day. In the morning it still looked grey-green as always. In the evening I discovered a pinkish comb/comb area - - first second I thought he got somehow injured, but then I took a better look 😂 He is exactly three weeks old now.
Can you post a pic?

We FINALLY finished up the new Silkie house today... They've been in it for over 2 weeks now but I didn't have the porch and attached run finished so they couldn't go outside. Before today they have only been outside ONCE for a brief 30 minutes or so. It took me FOREVER to figure out how to program the timer on the automatic chicken door. I was really aggravated enough to leave a negative review on Amazon. Anyway we are going out of town for an extended weekend over Mother's Day so I wanted to make sure it is working properly WELL in advance of our trip! We do still need to add some 2x4 framing at the bottom of the run but it should be good enough for them to go outside for now.

I'm going to try to get pictures of my babies tomorrow outside in the new run! ☺

View attachment 2634051
View attachment 2634052
View attachment 2634053
I LOVE the covered porch!!

DNA test results are in! Amai is a pullet as suspected. Eko is a cockerel. I suspected as well. Makes it a little more difficult if I want to breed some paints, I would have to get a black hen. Interesting what paint would do with the other colors I have. With that dominant white gene could make some interesting colors I think with interesting leakage.😊View attachment 2631385View attachment 2631386
Now im wondering if i should dna test the polish! But... hmm.. the wings and tail are sooooo long.. im just feeling strongly its a girl. Are male polish new hatchlings long feathered?

View attachment 2634051
View attachment 2634052
View attachment 2634053
That, is my dream bantam coop.

Back
Top Bottom