Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 794 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Now im wondering if i should dna test the polish! But... hmm.. the wings and tail are sooooo long.. im just feeling strongly its a girl. Are male polish new hatchlings long feathered?
I have only had females, so I do not know, but I imagine there would be no difference in the feathering between the genders as chicks. Best indicator of gender in non-bearded Polish is the males will develop wattles early. The female do not really develop wattles until just before laying age around 5 months.
Crests are also different, but until they are grown can be misleading. Females have more rounded crests and males have more punk rocker hair styles. 😊

I have only had females, so I do not know, but I imagine there would be no difference in the feathering between the genders as chicks. Best indicator of gender in non-bearded Polish is the males will develop wattles early. The female do not really develop wattles until just before laying age around 5 months.
Crests are also different, but until they are grown can be misleading. Females have more rounded crests and males have more punk rocker hair styles. 😊
The D'uccles and cochins have much longer/fuller wings and tails in females.. thats why i was *hoping* it would be the same w the polish.. :fl

Oh i might need to just get testing 😆... how long are they taking this time around? It took about a month when i tested the silkies.

The D'uccles and cochins have much longer/fuller wings and tails in females.. thats why i was *hoping* it would be the same w the polish.. :fl

Oh i might need to just get testing 😆... how long are they taking this time around? It took about a month when i tested the silkies.
I use IQ bird genetics. This last was about 10 days turn around time. A few months ago was 6-7 days, but I think they are getting busier with the hatching season in full swing. 😊

Thank you everyone! One other note on my new Silkie house....when I was at the feed store I noticed they had some solar powered LED motion-detector security lights for $15! I bought one and installed it over the door of the coop. You can see it in the picture. So far, it works like a charm... Was excited to find something like that so CHEAP! I need to go buy another one for my other coop.

We FINALLY finished up the new Silkie house today... They've been in it for over 2 weeks now but I didn't have the porch and attached run finished so they couldn't go outside. Before today they have only been outside ONCE for a brief 30 minutes or so. It took me FOREVER to figure out how to program the timer on the automatic chicken door. I was really aggravated enough to leave a negative review on Amazon. Anyway we are going out of town for an extended weekend over Mother's Day so I wanted to make sure it is working properly WELL in advance of our trip! We do still need to add some 2x4 framing at the bottom of the run but it should be good enough for them to go outside for now.

I'm going to try to get pictures of my babies tomorrow outside in the new run! ☺

View attachment 2634051
View attachment 2634052
View attachment 2634053
Awesome coop, porch and run :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
For how many silkies did you plan/build everything?
Thank you everyone! One other note on my new Silkie house....when I was at the feed store I noticed they had some solar powered LED motion-detector security lights for $15! I bought one and installed it over the door of the coop. You can see it in the picture. So far, it works like a charm... Was excited to find something like that so CHEAP! I need to go buy another one for my other coop.
My friend does have those for his coop, he is very pleased how they work. How cool you got the lamp for such a good price!

Can you post a pic?
Yes, here he is:
RIMG1345.JPG

Before the change his comb area did have the green-grey color as over/around his nostrils. He is three weeks and two days old now.

Back
Top Bottom