Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Of course!
Ok so on my sister's birthday my mom and dad went to the feed store and surprised us by getting unsexed chicks. I think they got us 9 chicks. 4 black white crested polish(Lemon, Birdie, Mushy, and Sunny), 3 silver laced polish(Gossy, Gerty, and Booboo), and 2 black silkies(Ollie and Shermy). Me and my sister claimed the silkies and my other sister claimed all the polishes since they were for her polish chicken who got her head plucked. So a couple weeks after raising them, one of the silver laced polishes, Gossy, passed away. And 1-3 weeks later, Ollie, my silkie, started acting strange so we thought he was going to die. But then we force-fed him some medicated feed mash and he started getting better and acting normal again! So then we moved them outside and we thought that Sunny was a cockerel, Birdie used to be named Benedict cause we thought she was a cockerel, and we thought that Mushy was a cockerel for a long time, and we always knew that Lemon was a pullet. And we thought that both Gerty and Booboo were cockerels. But Sunny was actually the only cockerel out of this batch of polishes! Back to the silkies though. We thought that Shermy was a cockerel and that Ollie, who used to be named Olive, was a pullet. But then we ended up getting rid of both of them because they were both cockerels and they were really aggressive toward each other, even as babies. So we don't have any more silkies sadly. We do still have all of the polish girls though! We had to get rid of Sunny due to aggression. So that was my silkie story! :D

If you really need a layer feed, Nutrena Country Feeds Egg Producer is 21% protein. It's only pellet though. I feed it to my layer flock. Silkies usually have chicks so they get Flockraiser.

It can be hard to find Egg Producer, though.
I also use Nutrena, but i get Feather Fixer, since i love fancy feathers! You can get crumble or mini pellets.. i like the mini pellets, less waste, dust, and small enough for bantams. Also high protein. I give my girls a bowl of calcium, but when Elsa was a new layer, i had to give her a calcium tablet until she figured out to eat the free stuff.

16! Try to keep it 20 or less or I get overwhelmed!🤣
I am picking up another silkie pullet tomorrow....:oops:
That's not too bad, plus you have the space. I will get 10.. but life (and death) happens.. so i imagine i will always be close to my legal 8 limit.

But yes, i agree i need to keep it manageable as well, they actually want my attention and to be held.. it would be like the movie Birds if i got much more. I'm curious if the silkie ee mixes will be more aloof like typical ee's. They do breed them back to silkies.. 🤔 it might also make a difference if i am raising them or if Elsa is.

Just wonder @LadiesAndJane @LynnaePB (or others who know about colours)
Smokey X Biscuit offspring colouring .. should I get red leakage but this leakage is usually only males isn't it? What colours chick possibilities would there be?
.. Hopefully hatch in about 17 days with first time mum Smokey 🐣

With Cookie in the same coop now I won't know who's the dad after this hatch. But Cookie has similar colouring so chicks would look similar whoever the father is?

Biscuit..
IMG_20210915_110826.jpg
Smokey
IMG_20210714_111218.jpg
Biscuit and Smokey
IMG_20210627_121433.jpg

Cookie..
IMG_20210914_111306.jpg

I also use Nutrena, but i get Feather Fixer, since i love fancy feathers! You can get crumble or mini pellets.. i like the mini pellets, less waste, dust, and small enough for bantams. Also high protein. I give my girls a bowl of calcium, but when Elsa was a new layer, i had to give her a calcium tablet until she figured out to eat the free stuff.
But isn't feather fixer lower protein?

Back
Top Bottom